• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dabs value 80gb PVR - no reception when recording!

blockbuster

Standard Member
Hi,

I have recently bought my 2nd PVR machine from dabs. With the first one I received, the reception of Freeview channels was fine until I tried to record something, and then the picture being recorded started to freeze and jump, and it wasn't possible to watch any other channel at all (despite the twin tuners)!

I returned this machine, but the replacement is doing the same thing. Is my freeview signal not strong enough (although the plain old freeview set top box I have upstairs works fine!) or have I been sent another dud??!!

Thanks!

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I have recently bought my 2nd PVR machine from dabs. With the first one I received, the reception of Freeview channels was fine until I tried to record something, and then the picture being recorded started to freeze and jump, and it wasn't possible to watch any other channel at all (despite the twin tuners)!

I returned this machine, but the replacement is doing the same thing. Is my freeview signal not strong enough (although the plain old freeview set top box I have upstairs works fine!) or have I been sent another dud??!!

Thanks!
Your signal level might be marginal for when two of this particular type of tuner become active - as in during recording.

blockbuster

Standard Member
Thanks for that! Excuse my lack of knowlege - but would a digital signal booster solve the problem, or am I better off looking for a better machine?

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Your aerial is obviously capable of collecting Freeview signal as your second Freeview receiver works without problem.
How is the signal split to the different rooms?
The general rule is to collect as much signal as you can (most appropriate aerial), amplify it before too much signal is lost/noise is gained, with an amp positioned within a few metres cable run from the aerial, and distribute it to the TVs as losslessly as possible - avoid using a passive cheap plastic 'Y' splitter; use a mains-powered amp with an appropriate number of outputs.
For two to four sets a mast-head-amp with 2/4 outputs is typically recommended.
Also ensure that ALL coax cables, especially any flyleads (between the wall sockets and receiver) are well made from double-screened cable not the linen-line stuff that's normally supplied.
As every case is individual though, you may find it sufficient to just fit a booster near the PVR.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom