1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dabs/Medion Widescreen 30" LCD-TV - MD41630

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by spanky2k, Jul 21, 2004.

1. spanky2k

spanky2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Well there was much discussion going on regarding this display and nobody seemed ready to take the plunge and buy one...

... until now, hehe!! ;)

I ordered one yesterday morning at 1157 and received it today, at 1030. Less than 24 hours delivery time, yay! :D

Ok, I'll put up a full review in a few hours or so. Probably late tonight though, so that I can fully evaluate it in the dark.

First Impressions??

Well I was expecting it to be very ugly looking, but once out of the box it is surprisingly good looking!! It's a very simple design and looks almost plasma-like, especially with the size. The stand's also cool as it completely hides all cables plugged into the back. It doesn't tilt though.

Here's a summary of initial pros and cons:

Pros:

o HUGE
    o Great Value
    o *Loads* of connections, YUV Component, 2 x Scart, Standard Aerial, S-Video and a beautiful DVI-I input.
    o Great natural 1280x768 resolution when connected to a computer.
    o Initial contrast looks surprisingly good, particularly the blacks (!). I don't think I can pass full judgement yet on it though as its still daytime, I'll have to see how it fairs in the dark first.
    o Good adjustment settings, looks like there's loads of colour and picture adjustments - just need a configuration dvd to get it set up to full spec.
    o Great zoom adjustments, Smart, Zoomed 16:9, 4:3, Stretched and Custom Zoom.

Cons:

o Stand is non-adjustable
    o Doesn't initially look like its wall mountable although this might be possible, just with a little work - more on this later when I review it properly.
    o Screen looked a little grainy when up close (mind you I was sitting 0.5m from the 30in when I noticed this. From where I'm sitting now it looks a lot better (2.5m-ish)
    o MPEG artifacting noticeable at close range on SKY and the first DVD I tried (Enemy of the State). This may be because of limited image processing, I don't know yet. It could just be poor quality inputs. The DVD didn't look so good under close scrutiny on my old screen.

So far it looks like a great TV, especially for the price, but I'll have more info and photos later. I feel its only fair that this screen finally gets a proper review and some high quality photos put up for the world to see!!

Oh yeah, one thing I noticed was that it tells you its temperature in the settings window. Kinda neat. Could be a common function, but my old screen didn't have it.

I've been comparing it to my old Philips 23PF9945 display and so far it looks to be better in many aspects, especially connections and *much* better PC connectivity. Looks I thought would be worse than the Philips but it actually looks pretty damn sleek now. Very simplistic and suave. Shame about the Medion logo but if your really that fussed, it looks easy to remove.

If anyone's got any questions or anything that you particularly want me to look into, let me know!!

PS Now that I've been watching 'Enterprise' on Sky for the last few minutes while writing this, I have to say the colour *does* look good and the blacks *do* look better than on the Philips.

For this kind of money this is looking *really* good so far.

Oh, build quality looks good too, its full metal, unlike the plastic of the Philips.

Phil

2. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any chance of doing me a favour, please, and measuring the hieght of the telly from the bottom of the base to the top of the unit?

Your review is making me interested but I need something smaller than about 54cm.

Cheers,
    Cal.

3. spanky2k

spanky2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Its bang on 53 cm tall. It seems like it can be wall mountable but without using standard LCD/Plasma mounts but using simple hooks?? Seems interesting.

Oh, btw, I just ran the demo from 3DMark03 Professional, set it to the native 1280x768 resolution and OH MY GOD. This thing's looking incredible, fantastic detail, great brightness and great detail. I can't get over how *black* the blacks are for an LCD screen! Still, can't pass full judgement on that until its dark. :)

Hope that helps!

Phil

4. trent24

trent24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds like it could be an absolute bargain. I look forward to seeing your pictures spanky2k.

What output are you using for DVD and can you see from the manual if it supports any of the HDTV standards?

Thanks

Trent24

5. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the height info, Spanky, it should fit under my projector screen when it's down. Looking forward to the rest of your review. I was almost decided on the LG but this is 400 quid cheaper. :)

Hoping the unit itself looks good, is it silver?

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Details (most in French) and a large image here

7. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've realised I've been looking at the cheaper one on Dabs - the MD7330.

The picture on DABS of the MD41630 looks really good - better than the one on the websites above.

If the rest of Spanky's conclusions tonight are good, I think I'll probably order one.

9. inkinoo

inkinoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
  10. spanky2k

spanky2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    FAO Trent24:

Although it doesn't specifically specify in the manual that it does support HDTV, it does support a full input resolution of 1280x768 at 50 or 60Hz through the DVI-I cable and chances are that when HDTV does finally reach us here a lot of the units will have DVI-I or VGA output or if nothing else you can buy adapter units which by the time HDTV comes round will probably cost next to nothing.

FAO Calscot:

The picture on that site above really doesn't show it off properly, on that site it looks like the speakers are slightly recessed, which looks horrible. They're not, they're completely flush. Its not the best looking display looks wise but there's nothing wrong with the design, its simple, plain but stylish looking, just not quite Sony-glass-frame-free-floating-look design!!
    Keep in mind also that the cheaper model *could* be a completely different panel and could have a completely different design so they could have very different strenths and weaknesses.

Also on a side note, it looks like the screen *is* wall mountable but not like other lcds who tend to have standard wall brackets. From what I can see from the picture in the manual, its mounted a lot more like you would mount a painting. You connect two small wall brackets on the back either side of the screen, put two 'rubber buffer's on the bottom and hang it up!! Will have to speak to Medion (who make the set) as to what to do.

Laters,

Phil

11. spanky2k

spanky2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Ok, finally finished the review and put it up here. Have a read, I hope you like it!!

Off to bed now... its approaching 5am again and I'm supposed to be going to London tomorrow... :eek: :boring: :boring: :boring:

Take it easy guys!!

Phil

12. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373

so the component(YUV) inputs only support 480 and 576i?

surely they should support 480p 720p 1080i or whats thepoint?

they should have just bundled another scart