1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dabs 32" lcd

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by petebrady, Apr 19, 2005.

1. petebrady

petebrady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    decisions decisions

Anyone got any views on http://www.dabs.com/uk/shopbybrand/dabsvalue/ProductView.htm?quicklinx=3ngv&mc=6

The manufacturers product code is LT-32HLP, which indicates it's a DiBoss, and the full specs are here - http://www.dboss.se/upload/jamforelse_specifikationer2005.pdf - in Swedish, but pretty understandable.

So.... is it worth £799?

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    NTSC 4.43 is NTSC with PAL colourburst.
    Real NTSC (as in USA) is NTSC 3.58.

Chris Muriel, normally Manchester but currently at NAB in Las Vegas.

3. petebrady

petebrady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i new what that meant I probably wouldn't be looking at bargain basement LCD's from Dabs :) Off to google i go.

cheers

4. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Isn't there something like a 500 page thread about this?

5. petebrady

petebrady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I searched the forums for Dabs, DiBoss & LT-32HLP but just found a couple of mentions of this model. Dabs have done several 32" LCD's at ever reducing prices. Perhaps you're thinking of the Medion?

(Incidentally if your post is meant to be exasperated in tone, and you can find a "500 page thread about this", I'll apologise for wasting your valuable time. And if you can't, I'll expect the same courtesy.)

6. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  7. petebrady

petebrady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. petebrady

petebrady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i found a pdf of the manual for the LT-32HLP here - http://www.hnny.nl/handleidingen/dboss/LT-32HLP.pdf

According to babelfish, this means:

Ordered this morning. Hope i haven't just made a £799 mistake....

9. Vallyboy

Vallyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >>>>>>>>>>Ordered this morning. Hope i haven't just made a £799 mistake....<<<<<<

I wish you well. Sorry you are a guinie pig :) but I hope all is well as I am interested myself. I may wait for your report on the other hand the spec does look so good I may be a daredevil like yourself.

Do post ASAP. :lease:

10. petebrady

petebrady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, providing Dabs get the finger out with the credit card authorisation (currently "awaiting 3D secure authorisation") I should have it in a few days.

I'll post up some info then, but i'm no expert so ehhhh apologies in advance.

11. Vallyboy

Vallyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did mail Dabs to ask about the warranty but got a rather stupid response, telling me that what is on the site is all the information they have :mad:

I did spot this site that suggests a 2 year swap out, but we will have to wait and see I suppose.

I do like the look of the thing...classy :thumbsup:

12. pinkerton

pinkerton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Let us know how you get on when it arrives!!

13. petebrady

petebrady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if it arrives.

The order status is showing "awaiting 3D secure authorisation", which is apparently a VISA security thing.

A little strange, considering I ordered with my Mastercard.

Ho hum.

14. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
  15. petebrady

petebrady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this has been the same for 24 hours now. needless to say, dabs' famous online customer "support" system has been less that helpful.

i am rapidly losing hope

16. Vallyboy

Vallyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And if the 3 years on site warranty is correct it has to be worth the extra £22 methinks. The other supplier that I gave a link for quoted 2 years which seems the norm for most LCD TVs but wanted £850.

17. EnglishJohn

EnglishJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i wonder how it compares to the Video7 which i was looking at and seems to be getting food response in the forum...
    Ah well will have to wait for a review, unless someone has managed to find one because i have not.

18. petebrady

petebrady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've had to cancel my order and reorder. nothing was happening at all.

if the order status on the new order goes back to "awaiting 3d secure authentication" or whatever thing again i'm going to take it as a sign from god and give up for good.

19. petebrady

petebrady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    delivery is about 3x what dabs are charging me, so it'd wind up costing me about £50 more in total....

20. petebrady

petebrady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well the reordering worked- ordered at 5.54pm, shipped at 10.01pm

if dabs bothered to read the messages i submitted via their online contact page i could have done this last night. Now i won't get the tv until monday at the earliest. bummer.

If anyone has any tests to suggest i'm more than willing to put it through its paces when it arrives....

21. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    found out that the bits in this DiBoss TV are made by this company Micronas

22. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    however not sure whether DiBoss will be using current upconverter chip which doesn't appear to have motion compensation (dps9455B) :thumbsdow the new chip set does look very good :D

23. Vallyboy

Vallyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well for my part I am happy to see how it performs with a good input source.

My son has recently purchase the 26" Acer and is delighted but some of the poor bit rate channels will show up worse on a TFT compared to a CRT or perhaps we are noticing more how crap the signal is.

He does indicate that the occasional DVD has a few problems with dark scenes so I would be interested to see how the quoted 1000-1 contrast performs, as well as the usual trail issues in a fast moving scenes. Also how does the sound perform.

If you want to connect to the computer you could download some hi-def as my son did a few and it can be stunning. It did show what the unit was capable of, what is it they say garbage in, garbage out.

As a final test, pop it round to my house, set it up and let me try it for a day or so, oh, and lend me a DVD player with progressive scan,........ I will supply my own popcorn. :thumbsup:

24. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    There's info on the DiBoss site but it's in Korean and Bablefish isn't doing a good enough job for me to understand it.

I ordered one of the earlier Dabs TV's and it cleared and shipped within a couple of hours but my card didn't need to pass the '3D secure' test, whatever that is.

25. azim

azim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    was also thinking of buying this screen...would love to know how windows looks on this screen..i would be using it for a bit of everything really...tv, browsing, playing pc games etc...i wonder if it has the same issue with pc resolutions of 1366*768 like some other makes?

26. azim

azim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @avanzato there is an "english" button on top right hand corner. but cant find the 32" tv there though.

27. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The english part of the DiBoss website doesn't seem to have changed in the couple of months since I found their site. The Korean pages look 'up to date' and have the 32" but the translation I get of the features list is completely mad.

That's for the DPC feature. :confused:

28. Cherimoya

Cherimoya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I saw the DiBoss version of this on display yesterday in Tottenham Court Road. It's certainly a sleek looking box - big though with the side speakers I would think it would dominate most average rooms. The table stand was a bit naff - bright shiny silver. It was showing an analogue feed of Eastenders so it wasn't easy to judge the PQ. It looked ok - no visible artifacts or smearing even close up. The picture did look a bit dull and lifeless though - this could have been the setup. The picture was as good as the Tosh 36 CRT alongside it running off the same feed. They were selling it for £899 which I thought was a pretty good price for a retail store in London.

Worth considering I would say.

29. petebrady

petebrady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well surprise surprise it didn't arrive today. and after i took the day off work to welcome it, too.

dang.

30. Vallyboy

Vallyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Console yourself that you could have ordered this one :oops:

Down to the last 4 so I ordered one myself. Found it is sold in the USA as Kreisen, given a poor review by C-Net but reviewed by 6 customers it averaged 9 out of 10 and now one review in Dabs gives it the :thumbsup: .

Now all I have to do is figure out who wants to buy a 33" Tosh and more to the point is prepared to move the enormous thing. :)