1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAB using TAG or SKY box

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by GrahamMG, Jun 14, 2005.

1. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi guys,
    As another nail in the coffin for those that think DAB over SKY etc. is better than off air via a T32R, we have been arguing for a while now with PACE (and SKY) that a real cock up needs to be addressed in that the SKY+ box (and others probably) adds a large amount of gain to the MPEG audio SPDIF output (6dB) and guess what the headroom is, yep a bit less (5dB)....... Which defeats the idea of the purity of the digital signal path if the SKY+ receiver goes and chops the top off...... So basically this is the real answer why a SKY+ box sounds inferior to a DAB radio (i.e. the T32R) regardless of bit rates, if its hits a brick wall you will hear it......

2. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Shock Horror! ;o) So Graham, just knock your side down by about 1.5dB for good measures and it'll be sorted... :devil:

3. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I'm not kidding you when that was actually mentioned as a "cure" by the PACE people....... They also said that setting the STB output volume would cure it......Oh please even I know enough to know that is B*ll@#ks...... So if you want a built in compression limiter you know what to use now.....

4. Mike-D

Mike-D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does the technical spec of radio transmitted via Freeview compare with 'proper' DAB? I've never been able to locate details.

I had freeview before I aquired my T32 and expected it (the T32) to be better. Generally it is, especially with Radio 3 which is simply the best sound I've ever heard from radio, significantly better than FM. With some other stations using lower bit rates the situation is less clear cut. Worst of all is BBC 7 which on DAB is not even in stereo, clearly not as good as what is available via Freeview.

I'm in deepest Norfolk by the way. It may be we get something different from populated bits of the country!

5. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    There was a discussion over DAB vs. Freeview a while ago but we never got to hear an answer to question - whether Freeview is fed a different bitrate directly from the BBC than the BBCs own DAB services?

We know that Freeview transmits some stations at a higher bitrate rate than DAB but we didn't find if those are just the BBC DAB outputs reencoded back into a higher bitrate for Freeview. Some people are claiming that Freeview must be better because it uses a higher bitrate but they don't seem to have considered the possibility of reencoding, which might explain why (typically) Freeview's output sounds fraking awful. Or perhaps thats down to the 2.3p spent on the output sections of Freeview boxes?

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi guys (morning......)......

You put me in a difficult position here for obvious reasons, I can barf on about S$Y but the BBC is rather closer to home.....
    Let me put it this way, I assume you have all heard of upsampling...... I've said before in the last argument on the subject that a wise man won't always assume that the numbers game gives a better result and Liam is spot on in the cost of the output section of a freeview box....... Oh those "lucky" enough to have a digital audio output on their freeview box will also know all about compression limiters as well.....
    I've argued long and hard for years on the subject of DAB bit rates but I fear that the age old "fill the airwaves with lots of low bit rate stations cos the average punter won't tell the difference and that is what they want" is now set in stone which is a great shame from where I sit.... I live in hope that "the great analogue switch off" will result in bigger pipes for higher bit rates once more but who would put money on that instead of loads of stations at the same low bit rate instead..... Like I've said in the past, if you don't complain they will think that is all perfectly OK....Its up to you guys.....