1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAB tuner on TEAC CR-H250 goes silent

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by graeme_moss, Feb 12, 2005.

1. graeme_moss

graeme_moss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a TEACH CR-H250 before Christmas and apart from a slightly confusing interface (eg. you cannot eject a CD whilst listening to the radio), it's been fine, except for one very annoying problem: Whilst listening to the radio (DAB tuner), occasionally it will go completely silent, despite still receiving a signal (the scrolling info you get with most stations is still updated). Looking for other stations only shows "?" for every station. Pressing CD then Tuner returns you to the station (after the usual "Now tuning" message) and all is well again. I've had no problems with my standalone DAB radio (though that's in a different room admittedly).

Has anyone else seen this problem? Presumably I'll have to return the hi-fi to the store to get it fixed... sigh.

2. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I could be down to the signal strength and/or the quality.
    I had to move the DAB aerial around the room to get a decent signal and it was very sensitive, a movement of a few centimeters horizontally caused the strength to go from excellent to poor.
    Failing that you might have a duff one. I had to take one back to JL when the scrolling text failed to up date properly.
    I agree about the CD eject button, whoever made it the same as auto tuning needs to be shot!

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,105
    Ours is often on all day 8-8 without a problem. Sounds like your's is faulty but fiddling with the aerial might be worth a shot. Which station(s) does it drop out on?

4. graeme_moss

graeme_moss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try returning it to the store (who said they would have to send it back to the manufacturer for repair). It drops out on all stations, though some with more frequency than others, it seems. The effect is rather random. My guess is that it's a combination of a fault with the odd bad signal.

Surely it's a fault if it just cuts out to complete silence? It is completely silent till I press CD then tuner and immediately this restores the sound every time, so it's not as if the reception was bad in the interim. Further the "Sig error rate" is usually "00" when silent, just as it is when it is working fine.

As to how I can ascertain whether it's fixed or not on return from the manufacturer, that's another story (I can just see myself sitting down in House of Fraser all day waiting for the sound to disappear...)...

5. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I would ask for an exchange.
    My first one did not scroll the DAB data properly and I wrote to TEAC about this (they have no email address). The reply was to the effect that this item was not worth repairing as it was 'low end' hi fi and to take it back for a replacement. I showed John Lewis the letter and got my money back immediately as they had none in stock.

6. gusgus

gusgus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to get one of these for the bedroom - does anyone know if it has a timed start function to kick off the day to DAB whatever?

7. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just looking at mine now and it has a timer button on the front. Had a little play and you can set on time, off time and source of music.

8. gusgus

gusgus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks.