1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dab, SONY STSDB900 or PURE DRX701ES?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by spook, Jun 2, 2005.

1. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok, after researching, these two DAB hifi tuners seem to be the choices for around the £160-£180 mark

now the Sony is the newest technology wise, and I am not too concerned about the lack of FM/AM on the PURE unit in comparison, so the lowdown comes to sound quality alone?

so whats it to be, the SONY STSDB900 or the PURE DRX701ES?

any input welcome

cheers, Spook

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Get yourself onto the Classifieds forums and buy yourself the Denon TU-1500RD thats for sale there, better audio wise than anything you have mentioned above, quite frankly DAB stinks, not a patch on FM and you get better bitrates from a Freeview STB than you do with DAB.

Does that count as any input ? Trust me Spook get yourself a fine FM tuner.

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,311
    Alternatively- the Sony carries seperate DAB and FM modules and the latter is from the old '920 which wasn't bad at all. I'm with CJ in that DAB isn't great but you do get BBC 6 Music and decent FM on the Sony.

4. nicku

nicku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the Sony DAB tuner 2 months ago and although it is not the purest sound, the joy is in the DAB features. You can see who is playing on many of the bigger stations through the digital display, which I find useful when a new artist or song is played and I didn't catch the details on air. It is a nifty piece of kit for those like myself who are not hi-fi buffs.

By the way the black version was £30 higher than the silver as Sony were only letting dealers have them singly, best deal at the time was Empire Direct