1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAB reception via TV Aerial?

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by stevecc, May 20, 2005.

1. stevecc

stevecc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if anyone can help....

I have seen on the internet that it is possible to link your TV Aerial RF lead -with a 2-way adapter - into a DAB Tuner RF input to increase reception, rather than spending money on an external Aerial just for DAB?

Has anyone had any experience with this?
    Any help will be appreciated.

2. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I tried it and it did not work for me, absolutely no reception at all. Similarly I tried to use an old FM aerial. Again rubbish to nil reception.
    The problem is that the DAB aerial is a vertical dipole and all other aerials are horizontal.
    My main DAB receiver came with a simple dipole lead which in my area (Stockport) has proved to be sufficient to pull in a decent signal. However you need to experiment to find the best position in the house, even a sideways/vertical move of a couple of cms has been enough to send the error rate sky high.
    I am sure that Maplin sell them for a reasonable price if you need to resort to an aerial.

3. stevecc

stevecc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Simon,
    I was about to pay £200 (with fitting) for an external roof mount antenna today, but have since looped my standard DAB aerial lead (provided with tuner) around a light fitting directly above my stack, and that has all of a sudden picked up over a dozen stations with near perfect signal. I believe this area (Reading) has pretty good coverage......I was just wondering if I could boost it with the TV aerial....never mind!

Thanks for your input!

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
    FWIW - I have a roof mounted FM and TV aerial diplexed into one lead. I split the output into my DAB tuner and get (AFAIK) all the channels available.
    The TV aerial is a high gain one fitted for OnDigital and the FM aerial is one of the horitzontal 'C' shape.
    I live fairly close to the centre of London so the signal is probably quite strong but blocked by the house.