DAB reception problems

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Fido, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Fido

Fido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have just had a roof DAB aerial fitted. When the fitter left he assured me all was well. I now have awful problems. My Denon tuner automatically tuned in 35 stations. I am not getting any reception on many. Reception is breaking up on others. Radio 2 is not too bad but that's about all the positives. I will call the fitter back. But one curious problem is that my body seems to cause interference when I move around the room. When I sit back down the reception improves. While typing this I have lost reception completely on Radio 5. I'm wondering if the other equipment is the room is a problem. Anybody able to offer any advice before I see my fitter again?

2. nedmundo

nedmundo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi, have you double checked the connector which attaches to the back of the tuner. You need to ensure that there is no outer braid touching the inner core of the wire and that the braid has good contact with the connector itself to ensure
    rejection of interference - if that doesn't work - get the bloke back!

3. alnwrd

alnwrd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Is the new aerial a single dipole? in which case it will be mutidirectional. Do you have a clear line of sight to the local transmitter? are there trees or buildings in the way? Does the aerial have more than one dipole, i.e. is it directional and if so is it pointing to your local transmitter? What signal quality do you have on the main radio channels Radio 2 etc?

4. Fido

Fido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the points you make. Will pursue!

5. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    If moving around the room affects reception, there is something drastically wrong with the aerial installation, probably at the receiver end. Sounds like he's fitted the plug badly.

6. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Spot on!
    It sounds like the aerial isn't connected, has only the inner or outer of the coax cable making contact or is shorted at one end or the other.
    Moving around the room should only make a difference if you have an indoor antenna or the proverbial "piece of wet string" as an aerial.
    Is there perhaps an aerial switch that needs to be changed to another position e.g. internal/external ?

Chris Muriel, Manchester

7. bigb

bigb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    did you solve your problem?

8. billtee45

billtee45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a PURE Chronos CD clock/radio which, until now, has been very good. We even take it with us when we go caravanning!
    However, this morning my wife wanted to move the bedside table upon which it stands, and when the table was replaced I could no longer get Radio 4.
    I can get all the other stations with no problems whatsoever, but Radio 4 breaks up all the time, even after I move the 'wet bit of string' aerial.
    The signal strength is 95 or above, and the 'info' says "12B 225.64" which is exactly the same as shown on our other two DAB radios we have in the house, and they are receiving Radio 4 perfectly.
    I thought it might be because the power leads have been moved, so I've been juggling them around to find the 'optimum' position, but nothing seems to give a good reception.
    Could it be that something else is causing the radio to 'break up' on this frequency? Across the road some scaffolding has been erected this morning, but I would have thought that would have affected ALL our DAB radios, not just this particular one beside the bed.
    It's a real nuisance, because we like to wake up to Radio 4 (intelligent radio!).
    Can anyone give some advice, please? :lease:
    All the best,
    Bill

9. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Some detective work needed...
    Move the offending bedroom unit to the location of 1 or both of the other DAB units that do pick up Radio 4 ok still.
    Does it pick it up ok in those locations ?

Chris Muriel, Manchester

10. billtee45

billtee45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying, Chris!
    I tried all of that, but there was no improvement, so I gave up after replacing the radio beside the bed.
    In the evening my wife tried it, just in case it worked, and it did! The radio is now working just fine, though nothing has altered, changed, and nothing has been done to the radio.
    Am I puzzled? Am I pleased? Yes to both!!!
    But I'd just love to know why the radio decided that it didn't like Radio4, just in case it happens again, and in case anyone else finds they have the same problem.
    I can only advise that they turn the radio off and leave it for about six hours.
    All the very best,
    Bill