DAB, reception of London multiplexes

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Wokingham, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Wokingham

Wokingham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I commute a lot between eastern Berkshire, Wokingham/Bracknell and Central London, both Wokingham and Bracknell allow easily to pick up any or most FM stations from London, but unfortunately not so, when it comes to DAB.

London seems to get full coverage of 3 local multiplexers giving a good choice on DAB, but the reception in the Wokingham/Bracknell area appears difficult, if not impossible.

Has anybody had any experiences in making these London multiplexers easier to receive in Wokingham or Bracknell, or even Windsor? - possibly using an antenna to amplify the signal properly?

2. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    try these sites to see if you can get coverage at your postcodes - the links look the same but point to different pages
    ukdigitalradio: Coverage
    ukdigitalradio: Coverage

If you can get FM the I would stick with that as DAB has such low bit rates anyway.

3. Wokingham

Wokingham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am aware of this site, unfortunately, since it doesn't always show me the desired stations I would like to listen to in my area.

This is the site I'd prefer.
    Details of 12C/London 1 DAB multiplex | ukfree.tv - 10 years of independent, free digital TV advice
    Apparently it seems that I would get a halfway clear reception of the London 1 mux in the Bracknell, Wokingham, Binfield area, but in reality I don't.

For instance LBC 97.3 is easily receivable on FM in the area, whilst on DAB it is simply not available.

I like DAB, but to me there is a general discontent that the stations from London, I am used to listen to on FM are simply not available anymore in areas where one is used to always has had them.

There is a regional multiplexer in Berkshire in place, but it simply doesn't give you the same choice as the 3 London multiplexers. ( things like "London French Radio", the "Polish Radio", and all the other multicultural choice you get in London...)

4. Wokingham

Wokingham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in further to that matter, e.g.
    It is interesting to see that the London 1, 2 and 3 multiplexers are transmitted in Guildford (for whatever reason) as seen here:
    Guildford (Surrey, England) DAB transmitter | ukfree.tv - 10 years of independent, free digital TV advice
    The London 1 and 2 are transmitted from Hungry Hill (also reasons unclear), as seen here:
    Hungry Hill (Surrey, England) DAB transmitter | ukfree.tv - 10 years of independent, free digital TV advice
    which apparently according to the chart make the reception possible in Wokingham, but to me it is not.
    Same in the Windsor area, where I have difficulty picking up the London 1, 2 and 3 multiplexers.