DAB Reception in recent warm weather

b814sn1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm in Hull, East Yorkshire. In recent weeks, during the warm weather, the reception on my Pure Evoke DAB has dropped through the floor. Most stations pick up a signal for 2 or 3 seconds and then give up the ghost leaving me with "station not available" etc. Sometimes the signal reappears for a few seconds and then goes again. I've re-tuned etc etc but still not a lot of joy. I don't think I'm in a particularly strong signal area to be honest, but then again a lot of areas have had much warmer weather than East Yorkshire too, so I's be interested to hear if anyone else is suffering the same problem.

Maybe it's a coincidence and my DAB receiver is playing up and the weather is just a red herring. As I understood it, from all the blurb, DAB signals should be less afftected by atmospherics than an FM signal or was this just another part of the brainwashing publcity that I fell for?

Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get a roof-top aerial, but I do like to move the box around different rooms/outside so I'm reluctant to fork out for that.

Thanks,

Steve

My DAB reception has been "gone" for weeks - soon after the warm spell started. Good job my DAB radio also has FM - the batteries last longer too.

Not really surprising, living 10 miles or less from one of the most powerful transmitters in the country.

The warm weather hasn't affected my reception at all. I live in a poor signal area in North Wales and have been able to get all the same stations that I can always get and at the same strength.

b814sn1 said:
Hello All,

I'm in Hull, East Yorkshire. In recent weeks, during the warm weather, the reception on my Pure Evoke DAB has dropped through the floor. Most stations pick up a signal for 2 or 3 seconds and then give up the ghost leaving me with "station not available" etc. Sometimes the signal reappears for a few seconds and then goes again.

May be worth reporting as it could be that they have equipment poorly sited or cooled so it becomes vunerable during warm weather. May be worth seeing what the suggested operating temps are for your radio too. It could be your end.

Since mine is a portable radio with a telescopic aerial, I think it should be able to cope with most household environments. The best siting for it seems to be in the window in the bedroom, but unfortunately we bought it for the bathroom :rolleyes:

Thanks all.

Not really sure who I can report it too- any ideas?

I never have the unit in direct sun so if it is outside operating temps then it's a pretty poor show.

I can't help thinking that I've blown £80! I was seduced by the hype, more fool me. What a shame that it doesn't deliver as it has such great potential.

Still, I've got some digi radio through the Sky digi-box, but that's not a lot of use for listening to cricket in the bath upstairs without cranking up the volume and annoying the g/f and the neighbours :)

I'm almost seduced by the sexy SkyHD hype too, I'll definitely do more research before forking out £300 though!

b814sn1 said:
I'm almost seduced by the sexy SkyHD hype too, I'll definitely do more research before forking out £300 though!

HD is worth having - it's what digital TV should have been as a base standard when digital first came out.

Nick_UK said:
HD is worth having - it's what digital TV should have been as a base standard when digital first came out.
Only it wasn't possible at the time....

Cable Monkey said:
Only it wasn't possible at the time....

Why not ? Japan has had HDTV for several years now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom