DAB radio sudden poor reception on one station only.

Absolute radio keeps erratically cutting out on my hi-fi system after years of uninterrupted reception. All the other DAB stations including the Absolute 70s, 80s, 90s, 20s & Classic rock stations are fine, just Absolute's main station. If it's a fault my hi-fi has developed, how come other stations are unaffected? Ditto if it's a reception problem?.
confused.gif

Does anyone have any ideas?
Please don't blind me with science or technically complex solutions that involve DIY work on the system, as I know little about any of the tech jargon.

atthecoast

Novice Member
Absolute Radio (the main station) is broadcast separately from the 80s and 90s stations. Absolute Radio 70s, 10s and Classic Rock are on separate transmitters again. Are you in or near London to be receiving those?

There were some changes to the Absolute stations in London a few weeks ago and I think one of them is using DAB+ now instead of the original DAB format. Maybe the hi-fi was tuned into Absolute Radio - London rather than the national version?

Have you tried doing a re-scan / autoscan to see if that helps?

Absolute Radio is on the Digital One multiplex. Do other stations on the same multiplex like KISSTORY and talkSPORT sound OK?

Absolute Radio (the main station) is broadcast separately from the 80s and 90s stations. Absolute Radio 70s, 10s and Classic Rock are on separate transmitters again. Are you in or near London to be receiving those?

There were some changes to the Absolute stations in London a few weeks ago and I think one of them is using DAB+ now instead of the original DAB format. Maybe the hi-fi was tuned into Absolute Radio - London rather than the national version?

Have you tried doing a re-scan / autoscan to see if that helps?

Absolute Radio is on the Digital One multiplex. Do other stations on the same multiplex like KISSTORY and talkSPORT sound OK?
I'm in Benfleet, Essex- that's near Southend. Tried rescanning & it still randomly cuts out. Not tried KISSTORY or TalkSPORT as they aren't my thing, but will try them now you've mentioned them just as a reception test.

atthecoast

Novice Member
I would think near Southend that you could be receiving the London version of Absolute Radio on DAB. Does the hi-fi display have an option to toggle through the information about the station (e.g. signal strength, text, time, frequency?).

If it says 'London 1' or '12C' that is the version that seems to have changed recently.

If KISSTORY sounds OK the national version of Absolute should too. The national version will be 'Digital 1' or '11D'.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom