1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAB or DAB+FM?

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Ben_Hur, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Ben_Hur

Ben_Hur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just decided to pension off my old Arcam tuner and I'm now in the market for a new tuner. The only thing I'm sure about is that I want a tuner capable of receiving DAB and I don't really want to spend more than £300 (partly due to the fact that I'm skint after a recent TV+DVD upgrade). Do I....

1) Go for DAB only and buy a Pure DRX701ES for £230-ish (providing stock does exist)? Or...

2) Go for DAB and FM/MW/LW functionality and buy a model such as the Kiiro Radi 622 (which I haven't found any reviews of)?

I've given up trying to source a second hand Arcam 10 DAB (the rest of my system is Arcam 8) so the only other priority is that it has to be available in black.

I realise that reception is better via satellite but this is not an option at the moment, hence the fact that I am asking whether it would be better to have an FM option too. I'm venturing into DAB only for the extra channels on offer.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    BH

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    You may do even better with a Pure 701 PLUS a Denon budget FM tuner. I know it's an extra box but may just be better value than a single combined unit ... well I suppose you could go for the Tag...

Victoria

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Keep your Arcam and get a new DAB but don't expect sound quality to better you Arcam, it won't.

4. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pure 701 does sound really good though, even with an indoor aerial, I can highly recommend it. My FM reception was never that good, with DAB it's much better. With a minidisc recorder and a timer I can now make very good radio compilations, better than I got from FM, anyway.

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Oooops ... misread ... thought the Arcam tuner had actually died ... well my comment works equally ... buy the Pure 701 (or another DAB tuner) and keep the Arcam for FM.

Victoria

6. Ben_Hur

Ben_Hur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all for your input.

Does anyone have any info on the Kiiro? I find it a bit strange that most other DAB tuners have been reviewed in most mags and on the web, but there doesn't appear to be any sites that mention the Kiiro (apart from the companies website itself) despite in being over 6 months old.

While I'm on the DAB subject, is there any point in investing in L-band just yet? I upgrade my hi-fi system about every 4 years.