DAB Is it worth all the cost?

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by colinb07958, Aug 26, 2006.

1. colinb07958

colinb07958

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I have just found out that the signal for FM and DAB where I am is not that great. Have just had to have a new outdoor Aeirel installed for the TV. I asked the guy if he sold any FM or DAB aeriels. He said he can link them to the new roof Aeriel. A FM one would cost £70 and a DAB would cost £90.

The Cambridge Audio 640T costs £200. Aeriel £90.

He was sure that it would make the signal far more acceptable. So my question is: Is it worth approx £300 for DAB?
    Also will the Aeriel help the DAB signal alot? anyone know?

Thanks

2. AcerKev

AcerKev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you tried DAB without an external aerial - where I am the national and regional FM services are usless (with the sole exception of Saga), yet DAB is rock solid connected to the TV aerial.

As for the cost it's all relative - my tuner cost £150 + £10 for the remote. I personally think that's worth it - but then again anythings better than Trent FM (except Heart 106.0 anyway)

3. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23,040
    I got my DAB aerial from Maplins. Add it to some co-ax and a plug and you could try that. With it in my loft I can pick up Coventrys transmitter and I live in NW Bimingham. To make sure it was pointing right I connected a DAB portable to it while I was in the loft. Once I was happy I poked holes in the corner of the bedrooms upstairs and clipped the co-ax into the corner of each bedroom. I can pick up well over 60 stations.

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I don't think the effort or expense involved is any more than an enthusiast trying to get the best out of FM. What might be called into question is the quality of the end result. Personally I might consider it worthwhile, others might not.

5. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23,040
    My first DAB radio was a PCI interface card that fitted into my PC. I had it years ago and I could only get a signal by taping the supplied aerial onto my curtain track in the bedroom. Then I made up a co-ax cable and tried it with the aerials I’d got in my loft/roof. At the time I had a VHF aerial in the loft and a TV aerial on the roof. I could now pick up about 20 stations even though it shouldn’t really work as the aerial isn’t suitable.

Later I added a DAB aerial into the loft which I got from Maplins and I can now pick up Coventry’s stuff even though I’m in Birmingham. On a lot of the kitchen radio specials you can unscrew the fitted aerial and you get a socket similar to the type used on satellite and cable co-ax’s. You can make up a co-ax cable with a satellite plug at one end and a TV type plug at the other and try plugging your radio into your TV aerial socket. It shouldn’t work but worth a try.

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,170
    I get rubbish FM and even a decent aerial didn't make it better. I bought a Technics STGT1000 DAB years ago for £400 (Hi Fi Separate). I use the standard wire aerial with it and get perfect reception.

It amazes me now a DAB radio can be bought for £25 but I still think £400 was not a lot at the time I bought it (the DAB chips alone cost over £100).