1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dab do i need an ariel

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by bobone, Jun 4, 2005.

1. bobone

bobone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am buying a teac crh250 mini system will i need an outdoor/indoor ariel and if so can anyone recommend one thanks

2. bobone

bobone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am buying a teac crh250 all in one system with dab will i need an ariel indoor/outdoor and if so can anyone recommend one also has anyone had experience of sonance ceiling speakers which i am going to use with it thanks bob

3. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Any radio tuner, be it FM or DAB will greatly benefit from an outdoor ariel - well worth the investment.

What type of ariel depends on where you are located and what the reception is like. I am lucky enough to live in an area with good reception and always used an omni-directional ariel with my FM tuner (an onmi-directional ariel is a circular ariel that picks up signals from all directions, rather that a directional ariel that tends to be pointed at one transmitter).

When I switched over to a DAB tuner, I enquired of a couple of ariel installers whether I would need a special ariel for digital reception. Both said yes. Before taking the plunge I tried my existing ariel and the readout on the tuner shows I am achieving maximum signal strength through the existing FM ariel.

So don't let them con you into buying another ariel that you don't need. Provided your area is covered by a DAB multiplex you can receive digital broadcasts. If FM reception is good in that area then your existing FM ariel will suffice for DAB.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Take a look here

If you are in one of the "pink" areas, you will probably get away with an indoor aerial. Otherwise, you can get one from Maplin Electronics

5. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have this Dab receiver and am very happy with it. I am using the supplied ariel and picking up a good signal in Stockport.
    However you need to experiment as to the best place for it as a couple of cm's either way can make all the difference.

6. bobone

bobone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my area looks very pink cheers

7. penumbra

penumbra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, i installed some sonance cieling spkrs. for a client a few years ago, these were 2 way with adjustable tweeters and had adjustable responce via dip switches, i also installed the sonance flush cieling SUB!.
    Great sound, not as lean as B+W or Kef (which i think were technically more accurate) but more enjoyable IMO.
    if you must have cieling spkrs. they are certainly worth a listen, bear in mind they will sound Very different in your cieling then when mounted on a baffle in a shop.(the diff is Much bigger than normal spks.)
    Jaz