DAB car radio

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by djchapple, Aug 12, 2012.

1. djchapple

djchapple
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a Ford Fiesta Titanium which comes with a Sony in-car DAB radio.

Modern car radios really requires a week long course before you start to use them. However I have persevered and I am now quite confident when using the AM (almost never) and FM.

However I am totally confused with the DAB set-up. I gets list of DAB1, DAB2 etc and I have no idea what these represent.

How do I tune in to the DAB stations? I am not interested in the actual handling of the radio itself, what I am interested in is how the stations are listed and what the subsections mean.

2. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23,312
    Either you are looking at presets or the Dab ensembles.

Dab 1 etc may be the presets for you to enter Dab stations. Dab stations are sent with half a dozen stations on a single frequency. Your radio tunes into the frequency and you listen to the station you want on that frequency.

You can't autotune like you can with a kitchen radio as your car moves around and will get nearer some transmitters and away from others.

Imagine you drove from London to Scotland. In London you would be able to have local radio stations when you set off. Then stations from the south of England, midlands etc. So on my car I have a cross shaped pattern of buttons. Up and down takes me between each multiplex. Left and right lets me pick up the station within that multiplex.

The radio ignores the others on that multiplex.

3. simon194

simon194

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    This only applies to the local muxes of course. There isn't any problem with the two national muxes.

Technically there isn't any reason for DAB not to tune to the likes of Heart or Kiss when moving between overlapping regions but it's one of those unimplemented features.