1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAB any good?

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Sly, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    has anyone out there got a DAB tuner as my dad wants one but does'nt know if it is gonna be another ondigital:confused:
    what are the good and bad points?
    anyone seen em cheap?
    worth getting?

2. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I personally think it's another On-Digital.
    Great idea,but already the radio stations are reducing bit-rate at the expense of quality.
    I have been using the Tag version,and although stations like BBCR3 are good,many are not as good as a high quality fm receiver.IMO.
    Regards

3. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think you can compare a radio system to ITV Digital... after all, ITV is (was) simply a broadcaster of digital television.

4. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the vidoelogics tuner. You can pick them up for about £300 and I find the reception where I am gives near CD (think minidisc copy) quality on most stations.

5. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard that tuner and thought it was incredible also.

.... Plus What Hi-Fi rave about it.

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    The vidoelogic range is set to be updated soon with a £100 reduction in price. They will also soon be selling a £99 portable one (within the next month)

7. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    do u think if i had put "will DAB go the same way as the dodo" john87 would have put "you cant compare a digital radio system to a extinct flightless bird"?
    :D

8. gvh

gvh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i have a Wavefinder which turns my pc into a dab receiver. Dab radio is mp2 so the compression algorithm is a bit ancient. The major problem is that the broadcasts are being compressed too heavily so the analogy to ondigital is actually a good one.

Being in southampton i can only get a bunch of rubbish commercial stations and nothing from the bbc until the autumn (allegedly). I'm sticking with FM but playing with the wavefinder for a few quid was amusing for a short while.
    I have just bought an Abit AU11 usb sound card thingy that outputs digital audio using an optical spdif so I shall plug that into my home cinema amp and get a true idea of the quality.

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/
    is a place to start.

9. Matinee

Matinee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I love my wavefinder. Reasonable quality, but more importantly it's a snap to record programmes using dabbar.

All the comedy programmes and wotnot automatically recorded. marvellous.

I'm in Horwich, so get all the BBC channels, Classic FM, a load of Jazz, rock and other stuff.

PK

10. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :blush: ;)

11. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is that a yes?:)

12. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No... I just took what he said wrongly, thats all :p

13. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all!

Anyone actually sampled one of the £99 "Evoke" sets yet?
    Saw one today in a glass case but none were available for sale only to order.

Cheers, Paul

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    I'll be getting one as soon as I can so I'll let you know what I think of it

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    Having looked at the specifications I decided not to get one. It's a mains only radio and I really wanted one I could use anywhere on batteries.

16. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Saw an elderly gentlemen try one in my local hifi store earlier this week and neither of the assistants (who DO know a bit about hifi) could get any stations tuned in with a quality signal. It appears to have a poor aerial which can't pick up anything properly. I live in Berkshire and I seen/heard other digital radios work great.

The budget seperates Denon analogue receiver on the same shelf had no trouble getting a signal with a plain wire aerial either.

Hence the old bloke trudged out saying he'd stick with his 32 year old Yachtboy wireless:rolleyes:

17. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got an Evoke, It's fab. I mostly listen to 5 live on AM, where reception is crap. I try anything I can receive at work (AM and FM reception is crap). With the evoke, everything is brilliant, even plugged it into the hi-fi and it's fab.
    I live in hilly Sheffield.
    Neil.

18. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can believe it, even their flagship Radio 3 has been getting downgraded to 160 kb/s from 192kb/s to squeeze more crappy channels into their bandwidth.
    Unfortunately my Pure DAB tuner has been delayed so I can't test it, but I think I'll get me an AM/FM tuner for xmas instead now.

19. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I know this sounds like the wrong thing to do but can you guys actually hear any difference? When the BBC tried this they were expecting a storm of protest re sound quality, they actually got virtually none except for the usual theorist, theorising that it must sound worse. The reality is there are many other things that are much more important to get right first like avoid using more than one data compression algorithm as compound algorithms massacre sound quality. The BBC has now learned these lessons even if the commercial stations haven’t.

FM is certainly potentially better quality IMHO but that was never the reason DAB was launched in the first place. Now all we need is broadcast of digital (tv and radio) in the prettier parts of the country.
    :)

20. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, in effect the difference won't be that noticeable, but it seems like a step in the wrong direction.
    I mean, how low are they going to push it? It's not going to sound like 'CD quality', that's for sure.
    If they're going to phase out FM, they should at least replace it with something of comparable (preferably much better) quality.

21. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    DAB is great for those that view MP3 as high quality sound....otherwise forget it!
    The tinny,compressed sound will soon annoy you,just as MP3,or most other compressed formats,with the possible exception of DTS will.

22. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But it's MILES better than crappy AM and FM where I work. I can get decent DAB signals, but FM and AM are just loud Buzzes. AM also fades in and out (ever tried listening to Radio 5 at night?)

IMHO it's a step forward, where I live anyway.

23. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    This is exactly why it was designed, to raise the overall level of the reception in the UK to a good MP3 level. Sure it will never compete with FM let alone CD but we are very quick to forget FM goes through a 13 bit transfer systemin the BBC so can't exactly be described as HQ with DVD A now giving 24 bit / 192kHz at home.

Sound quality I have found is moire down to the receiver engineering. The Tag sounds lovely and better than many peoples FM receivers but their FM tuner betters it substantially. The £300 DAB receivers are not built with the same engineering / sound quality perspective but to a price.

Sure I would love to see DAB R3 as high bit rate transfer, just as I like this with DTS, but will it actually make that much difference in the end?