1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dab Antenna Recomendations

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by AMCross, Jun 26, 2004.

1. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Any favourites out there amongst you guys ?

what is the rough price without installation

Been running my dab module with the stubby aerial ( I Know :nono: )

2. simon40

simon40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

I bought a DAB aerial made by Antiference - www.antiference.co.uk.

Also a 8 way TV amplifier. Graham from BBC recommeded them. Amplifier is top notch, DAB aerial works fine. The company even warned me it would not be impedance matched with the TAG input, but I've experienced no problems what-so-ever (and DAB aerial is mounted in the roof).

If memory serves me I actual bought through a company called CPC (Antiference do not sell direct, but they can give you the phone number of CPC). DAB aerial was somewhere around £10.

Simon

3. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Thanks Simon40 i was thinking that some of you would quote £200 + Aerials so that is a suprise.

Any ideas on cable type RG6 Ct100 i seem to recall an item on the old forum on Impedence or something similar

4. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    For cable I use good ol' RG58 ... coming in at a staggering 50p/metre if brought by the metre! Available from outlets like Maplin/CPC/RS. Remember to order a 50ohm BNC plug rather than a 75 ohm one as the centre pin size is different, so 75ohm ones can cause damage to the BNC socket on the AV.

I did my DAB aerial install for about £40 all in and that included doing a proper wall outlet and then a fly lead from wall to AV. From Guildford I get all stations with 5/5 reception quality. Remember to install the aerial with vertical polorisation and as a rule of thumb aim it in the same direction as your TV aerial. Ideally it's best to use an RF analyser to ensure correct alignment and positioning (I use a Promax 8+) but the aim it in the right direction and pray approach normally works fine with DAB!

for further info about aerials:
    DAB: http://www.wohnort.demon.co.uk/DAB/ukloc.html
    http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/aerials.htm
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/digitalradio/

More TV stuff but the predictors are very useful: http://www.wolfbane.com/articles/tvr.htm

If employing an aerial installer make sure you get one who knows what they're doing, as not many are DAB aware. I've seen a couple of "professional" installations connected together with an FM band aerial, 75ohm TV coax and a UHF->BNC adapter stuck on the end - ook ook!

5. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Nice to see everyone doing the right thing and using a proper 50 Ohm BNC :D

I'd be curious as to what the chap meant about not being impedence matched to the TAG input though.......... :confused:

As an aside it is perfectly possible to tri-plex the three types of aerials together into one drop lead (TV/FM/DAB) and split them back out again at the hi-fi end as long as you use the correct unit (powered and amplified), if your also using a distribution amp to give several outputs around the house you need to be sure that the distribution amp can handle all three signal frequencies as some may filter out the DAB signal if your not careful, the best ones even chuck DSAT around the home if you really want it... A DAB aerial isn't always pointed in the same direction as the TV one (although its a good place to start), it pays to have a waggle about to see if a local transmitter gives better signal quality (like my area, CP for TV, HH for DAB....) any decent installer will do this with a good signal analyser.

CPC are a good source of cheap decent aerials (Antiference) and as Steve says, nothing wrong with RG58 in this application :clap: :clap: :clap:

6. simon40

simon40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi ya Graham,

The impedance matching point was raised by the gent from Antiference , when we were discussing the Antiference DAB aerial. He was just bringing it to my attention that their DAB aerials have an impedance of 75 Ohms, whereas the Tag/IAG's DAB input impedance is 50 Ohms. He wanted me to be aware there would be a mis-match.

I was impressed with his honesty, and, for £10, was not unduly concerned.
    I've been using it for nearly a year now and have never experienced any problems.

Simon

7. Mr Yakimoto

Mr Yakimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi,

I am hoping to acquire a T32R soon but I am unsure about antenna's. Do you need a seperate antenna for FM and DAB?

I have a socket on the wall next to my TV ariel socket marked Radio. I am guessing that all I need to do is link the T32R to this and that will go stright to the Antenna I will install in my loft.

8. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr. Yakimoto,
    no offense here, but I have strong feeling you're just kidding with all of us here :) .

If not, sorry, there will surely be enough very helpfull people around to answer these questions here. These are by far best forums in UK with some members with immense knowledge, but I simply feel you're just kidding...

9. Mr Yakimoto

Mr Yakimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not so!!! I am asking the question because I dont know the answer. I take it by your reply I will need two ariels, one for FM the other for DAB.

I appoligise to everyone that feels I am taking the P*ss!!

10. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have a T32R with a DAB module. I have two roof aerials, a horizontal VHF/FM aerial, 5 elements, which is carried though a duplexer unit, to a 5 way distribution amplifier, as described by Graham in a previous thread. This should not be too close vertically to the TV Ae. The DAB module is fed from a vertically orientated 50 ohm aerial, on a separate pole, with a separate 50 Ohm cable and BNC 50 ohm plug into the T32R. Although 70 miles from the transmitter, I get excellent reception on both systems. I only have the DAB module in the Tuner, as I bought it as an Ex Dem unit, as it is already in the AV192R processor, but I still prefer the FM for music, and of course SKY and Freeview also give DAB radio, which can easily be recorded , so if you have either of these, it may not be necessary to get the DAB module in the Tuner, which is an £800+ option! Don't be too concerned about the sarcastic remarks, I am frequently shot down in flames, one of the hazards of going into print.

11. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Maybe I'm just lucky but I tried a standard FM loop aerial and a DAB aerial, both located on top of a box in the loft :nono: and both gave me 80-100% signal strength on all stations.... :confused:

12. Mr Yakimoto

Mr Yakimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Cheers for both your replies fellas.

Not sure whether to go for DAB then if I already have sky plus! I have a chance to get a new T32r +dab for £1200........is this the sort of price I should be paying in this climate or is that OTT?

13. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Being entirely accurate for a second, the stuff you get from SKY or Freeview isn't DAB..... The channels you get are the same but it isn't DAB in the true sense of the word, you only get proper DAB from a DAB tuner, which is why SKY or Freeview don't say they are DAB they are just digital radio stations pushed out on the same multiplex as other SKY/Freeview stuff........