• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DAB and FM Aerials

imigix

Established Member
I have just this weekend updated to DAB.

I have purchased a Cambridge 640t v2.

I swapped the units over and connected my outdoor FM aerial the 640 did a scan and informed me that there were 48 dab stations.

However when I selected any the display said not available.

On FM all worked well, so I removed the FM aerial and fitted the wire temp. aerial supplied with the tuner then I was able to listen to most of the DAB stations.

And most of the FM stations could be heard.

So I now intend to fit an outdoor DAB aerial, however my question is that their is only one aerial socket on the tuner is there some way of spliceing the two aerials together.

I still need FM because I like to listen to a BBC local which is 80 miles away
I get it on FM very well but I think its too far for DAB.

jdp1962

Established Member
The Cambridge Azur 640T is designed to accept DAB and FM signals from a DAB aerial. I've been using one with a roof-mounted DAB aerial for years, and it's been fine.

imigix

Established Member
The Cambridge Azur 640T is designed to accept DAB and FM signals from a DAB aerial. I've been using one with a roof-mounted DAB aerial for years, and it's been fine.

Thanks that sounds good news.

Perhaps you could tell me what polerisation I should use and would RG59 coax
be ok

imigix

Established Member
I have just this weekend updated to DAB.

I have purchased a Cambridge 640t v2.

I swapped the units over and connected my outdoor FM aerial the 640 did a scan and informed me that there were 48 dab stations.

However when I selected any the display said not available.

On FM all worked well, so I removed the FM aerial and fitted the wire temp. aerial supplied with the tuner then I was able to listen to most of the DAB stations.

And most of the FM stations could be heard.

So I now intend to fit an outdoor DAB aerial, however my question is that their is only one aerial socket on the tuner is there some way of spliceing the two aerials together.

I still need FM because I like to listen to a BBC local which is 80 miles away
I get it on FM very well but I think its too far for DAB.

Just thought I would give an update on the above

I have replaced the FM outdoor aerial with a DAB dipole but I had to move the location to get all digital and FM stations on it.

The original position was on the gable apex just above tile level ( bungalow )

The new unit is at the rear of the dwelling at gutter height 12 feet

Although the aerial manufacturer ( Labgear ) say it should be vertical I loose some weaker DAB stations so I have it horizontal and I get everything I wanted on both formats with perfect results.

I have used RG59 coaxial.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom