1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAB aerial type for Blau Woodstock DAB54

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by GeoffT, Mar 30, 2005.

1. GeoffT

GeoffT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like many others on the board apparantly, I am looking to get a Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB54. What I am trying to decide is which of the 3 aerial options to go for.

I would prefer to go for the internal glass mount version as that would be the easiest to install and be completely vandal-proof. The car (Skoda Fabia vRS) does not have a reflective or heated screen, so I am hoping that I would get acceptable reception with this type of aerial.

If I have to go to external glass mount type (or even the combined FM/DAB type) I think I will have problems with the aerial catching my open garage door as I go in and out of my garage. The existing FM aerial already catches occasionally and that is fairly short.

I would be grateful for any feedback from anyone using the internal type aerial on quality of reception. I live in Coventry and understand that reception is generally quite good in this area.

Geoff

2. GeoffT

GeoffT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've now installed the Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB54 so can answer my own question!

I bought the unit from Ebay and it came with the internal glass type DAB aerial so I thought I would try that first as the easiest install option. Well, it works fine, I can pick up all of the stations that I should be able to, and they are as clear as a bell, no drop-outs or anything so far.

The Woodstock itself is a nice unit and sounds good. My only problem so far has been getting it to read a CD full of MP3s. I created a CD with just a handful of MP3s on and it read it OK, but when I created one with 500 Mb of MP3s it stays on "CD/MP3 reading" for hours (literally - I let it continue the first time). Even on the CD with a handful of tracks on every time you switch off and on again the "CD/MP3 reading" message appears for several seconds before it starts playing again. It does restart at the place in the track where it left off though, I had read somewhere that it went back to the beginning of the track every time.

Summary so far is very impressed with the DAB side, but not so impressed with the MP3/CD part.I have ordered a Memory card for it as that is my prefered way of loading MP3s, I just hope it is better at reading the card than the CD.

3. CornishLee

CornishLee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just followed the same route, buying a DAB 54 through ebay. Installed it earlier and couldn't get any DAB reception, then noticed the two extra wires coming from the aerial, so have left it off for the moment and am just using it as a regular unit. It's probably just that I was installing it in an area of poor reception, but I thought I'd check anyway, what's the best method of installation for the aerial?

4. phelix

phelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're using the internal Blaupunkt aerial you don't need to supply 12v to it via the red lead; the aerial is powered by the DAB 54. However, you should still connect the black lead to a solid earth.

I have the DAB 54 and internal glass mount aerial in 2 different cars and am very pleased with the reception and the radio itself.

5. CornishLee

CornishLee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Phelix, that's a big help, brings me back to the "area of poor reception" theory. I'll give it a try just touching the earth to the car body for a moment though before I try wiring it in.

6. Wild Weasel

Wild Weasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +738
    I've got a Blaupunkt DAB53 with an external glass mounted aerial. I've stuck it on the back window of my Mondeo, 5-6" above the de-mister strips. The reception is very good and only broke up on me when I was driving round rural (and hilly) Shropsire, near the Welsh border. I live in Devon and haven't found a problem area here yet.

The aerial is only 18" long and can be angled to ajust its effective height.

7. CornishLee

CornishLee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting to note you're in Devon Weasel. I live in Moretonhampstead and work in Exeter. I fitted the aerial in Exeter the other day - sure enough the problems I had experienced were due to fitting it in an area of poor reception. It actually works fine in Exeter without either the power or earth leads connected to anything, but I lose it for most of the drive home. I'm wondering if the power and earth leads might actually be for a built in amplifier, boosting the signal. Anyone know?

8. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    a deep pit full of rattle snakes and a very old l
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well, Ive got the same DAB54, and am using it just as a normal unit at the moment.

I have the internal ariel also, but have not powered or earthed it yet. I baulked at the diagram of scratching bare metal and screwing the thing down :eek:

Not necessary surely?

9. CornishLee

CornishLee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now connected the power and earth leads which I still think are for a built in amplifier (I don't have the wiring diagram). Although I still don't get reception everywhere, it has improved it.

Now, if only I could stop that irregular beeping...

10. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    a deep pit full of rattle snakes and a very old l
    Ratings:
    +14

....the beeping is something to do with the traffic button isn't it? Its still new to me so haven't read the whole manual or had time to set it all up, but was on a long journey and GF pressed a load of buttons :rolleyes: and one was the traffic button - had irregular beeping when that was on. Is that what you mean?
    Guess its telling you there is traffic news, but not auto going to it.....:confused:

11. CornishLee

CornishLee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Traffic? Thanks, I'll give that a try, it may be traffic on DAB - it only started after I plugged the DAB aerial in for some reason, so I initially thought it may have been to do with that not getting full reception, but that's since been ruled out!

12. jpow112

jpow112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The beeping is because you've asked for traffic news, then selected DAB. there are no traffic alerts on DAB, so it can't find them, so warns you. If you need the alerts you have to go to FM or press TRAF to stop the beeping.

13. audisteve

audisteve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am thinking of getting one of these for my Audi A4 2000, was it easy to install as sometimes thereare problems with the wiring:smashin:

14. CornishLee

CornishLee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, no problems. I've also now improved reception by splitting the coax from my main car aerial to feed into both sockets instead of relying on the Blaupunkt window mount, which is useless around here.

15. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,568
    I've got a Blaupunkt Nashville DAB35. The guy who fitted it made a bracket that fitted on one of the bolts holding the rear bumper on. He then fitted the aerial to that. So I've got a foot long DAB aerial hidden inside the rear bumper. Works very well even though it's the wrong orientation. Totally invisible.

I've found it plays great from Lexars 1Gb SD cards too.

16. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,956
    I replaced my VW Passat Estate aerial with a combi DAB/FM aerial. It cost a bit more but was well worth it. I like the idea of mounting the aerial in a "hidden" place though. very clever.. This is my second 54 on the second car in a row and I just love 'em. I have found any 1GB SD card works for me although I am aware that some may not. Maybe I've been lucky. I wish the 54 would take 2gb cards though and I have called Blaupunkt to ask if they upgrading the firmware but they were a bit baffled by the question. Which is unusual becuase they are usually very good.

I also play my iPod through an iTrip and the sound quality is very very impressive.

17. Broadbean

Broadbean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the question of reading MP3 files - try putting the files in at least one folder, rather than having all the files located on the root of the drive. I seem to recall that the DAB54 has a limit on the number of files it can access on the root. Creating a folder or two might sort you out.

18. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,956
    Tried that but the 54 just can't seem to see the 2gb card. Blaupunkt say thats the case as well but it wouldn't be that difficult to get the firmware to see 2gb....come on Bluespot

19. rentozuke

rentozuke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have got one of those too! But I havent installed it yet. I d love more info ;)

What car do you have? Was the aerial mount job expensive? You say it works very well... how well :lesson:

Thank you!

p.s. Yes I am a car radio newbe

20. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,956
    It will work fine they are sort of omni directional and are not effected by not being vertical. I nearly fitted mine that way but the option to replace my roof aerial with a combi was too tempting.

21. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,568
    (BMW) Mini 1D December 2004

The DAB aerial I got off E-bay. It was fitted by a guy from this web site:

http://www.newministuff.com/new/index.php
    http://www.newministuff.com/new/index.php?section=10

He doesn't deal solely with Minis. He has pulled lots of Minis apart including the new one and made his own bracket to fit onto one of the bolts that holds the rear bumper on.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/interior-ice/80999-dab-aerial-solution.html?highlight=DAB+bracket

I had all the cars six speakers replaced, sound deadening material fitted, DAB aerial fitted, and the new head unit fitted. I also had LEDs fitted in the door handles (they come on when you unlock the door) and LEDs in the heater vents that are the same colours as the dash lights. Apart from the head unit the car still looks like the stock Mini.

In Birmingham I can drive into the Queensway (a tunnel in Birmingham) and the DAB works about 50m into the tunnel either side before the signal fades out. That's about the point FM fades out. The FM aerial is the existing aerial on the roof of the car. The DAB one is about twice as long as the 6" one on the roof though is lying sidewards.

The DAB fades out before the bubbling mud sound.

I'd say it works as well as a portable DAB radio does and I can get about the same amount of stations as a typical portable.

Birminghams coverage has been good for a few years. If I drive out of Birmingham and I'm listening to Radio WM the signal on the FM is 'listenable' on the FM for about another 20 miles after the DAB signal has faded out.

As for the rest of the radio you get all the normal analogue stations and some of the analogue stations also display scrolling radio data. The CD player plays CD's and MP3 CD's fine. You can also play MP3 from SD cards. I find it will take 1GB Lexar cards. According to the manual it should only work with half gigabyte. It doesn't work well with all 1Gb cards though.

It works with the early ID3 tags and CD Text. Display colours can't be altered.

I also have an aux lead coming out the back of the head unit and finishing in a 3.5mm head phone jack which I can plug into my MP3 player, DVD etc. The lead hangs down under the console and I usually leave it curled up in the cupholder.

Not a good pic but you might get an idea.
    [​IMG]