• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DAB aerial Fitting Help

MontyPS3

Established Member
Hi Folks,

I just purchased a Pioneer X8500DAB head unit for my 2009 Fiat GP from Halfords. Over the phone, they recommended an internal onscreen aerial which can be installed relatively easily, requires no drilling and offers exceptionally good reception because (in his words... "It uses the car's metal body as an aerial"). Ofcourse, I was sold
But when it was time to install, he couldn't because the A-pillar of the car houses the side airbags, and he doesn't want to tamper with it. Normally, the aerial is run inside the A-Pillar and put in contact with the metal and the glass.

He offered other ideas, like a magnetic aerial which will require drilling, and will be a bit ugly as it's another aerial sticking out of the car. And hiding it inside the car offers rubbish reception.

I've heard the folks at Halfords are generally not so knowledgable, so what options do I have to get an aerial connected to my DAB head unit.

I will prefer a solution that offers solid reception, requires no drilling and hopefully not so expensive as well.

Any help will be much appreciated.

celtic1967

Established Member
Have you considered removing the OEM aerial and replacing with a DAB compatible aerial ? I got mine from dab on wheels, they even have a try for 45 or 60 days refund clause.
Expensive compared to a stick on glass one, but you get what you pay for I suppose.

Are you sure that the bloke just didn't fancy the extra work involved to route the lead, I'd have thought lots of modern cars have airbag stuff in the A pillars ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom