DAB add on for Ipod

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by tredman, Jan 10, 2008.

1. tredman

tredman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    Those of you who've seen my thread below will know I'm after a DAB solution for my car. A good suggestion was made of using a portable DAB player into an Aux input, but I don't have one of these :(

However, I do have a built in ipod connection in my car, so I was wondering if there was an addon to the ipod which gives DAB radio on the ipod - a bit like the bluetooth phone add on thingy for it.

Bit of a long shot, but has anyone heard of anything?

Thanks, tom

2. Mac User

Mac User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I've been looking for the exactly thing, as above is there anything ?

3. BAD Dave

BAD Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The Roberts Robi might be able to do it. It has had some bad reviews on Amazon, though.

I am waiting for the forthcoming Intempo iDAB in the hope that it is better!
    iDAB has the advantage of ipod docking connectors top and bottom so you can connect to a wired headunit adapter (Denison ICE link Gateway in my case).

Both Robi & iDAB use headphones as an aerial but an Aux lead (from headphone socket to head unit) also works well as an aerial, apparently.

I will be getting an iDAB immediately upon release later this month so I will let you know how I get on with it.

I have already tried my portable DAB radio connected to the Aux input of my ICE link and it works fine. I may fall back on this if I cannot make a more compact setup work well enough.

Dave

4. tredman

tredman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    Dave,

The iDAB looks great! - correct me if I'm wrong but from my googling this can plug directly into an Ipod docking station (eg my car!) and make my head unit function as a DAB radio, without having to have the ipod conected too? The only point is needing to have a headphone cable dangling to act an aerial, even if you're using the sound out through the docking connection?

SO.... this would make my car radio a DAB radio! The big IF is whether the VW quirky interface will work with this, I guess I'll have to buy it and find out...

Thanks for the great heads up

Tom

5. BAD Dave

BAD Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Yep, plugging the iDAB into a docking lead to a car head unit just might work.
    It has dock connectors top and bottom so it should work slotted in between the iPod & the head unit connector. I think you would need a lead of some sort (such as an AUX minijack cable) plugged into the headphone socket to act as an aerial. Some say that even a headphone splitter acts to improve reception. It might also be possible to adapt or use a DAB aerial stuck to the windscreen (like on a Pure Highway).

I intend to get an iDAB and experiment with it in car.

Then there is the problem of in car DAB reception!
    Anyway, I can't wait to get one and try it! Worth a shot for £55 (Amazon). I e-mailed intempo & was told it should be on sale late January.

If the iDAB doesn't work well I will probably get a small/portable DAB radio (e.g. Pure Move, Pure portable or OOno) and use the aux input in my Denison ICE Link.
    If the iDAB is no good as true portable device, I will just get rid of it on ebay.

6. tredman

tredman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    It all sounds good

The only point which concerns me is the aerial - if, as claimed, it can be used as plugged into a docking station then surely this would be without connection to the ipod?

In which case where is the aerial, always very important for in car use.

Incidently I'm sure an external aerial (like the pure highway), with an adaptor like this between the ipod and aerial, would work well

7. BAD Dave

BAD Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    As I understand it, the iDAB has a dock connector plug at the top (to connect into iPod) and a female dock connector socket in the bottom (for connection to docking station or in car dock connector lead).
    The headphones (or other 3.5 mm lead) act as the aerial.

8. Ginsoakedboy

Ginsoakedboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a Robi, which I wrote this about in another thread

Just to stick my two cents in on this. I got a Robi for Christmas, and have found it a good, if quirky product.

Firstly - the good. The DAB reception is excellent, it's very easy to use, and having an FM radio as well is a bonus. (There are certain bits of my train journey to work where DAB dips out but Fm is still listenable)

The bad - the spring clip went all spongy after a few days and now doesn't work - probably just bad luck for me but still annoying. More seriously, with my ipod Classic the backlight is always in whilst the Robi is in DAB or Fm mode, severely limiting battery life. Now apparently, this has just been fixed in the Ipod clasic 1.1 firmware BUT the robi will now turn off every two or three minutes. Thankfully, I read this BEFORE I upgraded the firmware and avoided it.

Would I recomend buying one? Depends what Ipod you have (I'm told the backlight issue only occurs with Classics) and if Apple fix these firmware issues I guess.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]