da-lite screen sizes.... filling a 16:9

Cool-hand

Hi

Just wanted to check, da-lite have a big range of screens with an even bigger range of screen materials, but is the hdtv version the version which is what we call anamorohic?

2.35:1 clearly will not be a best buy for me as alot of movies are full screen (by which i mean fill completely a 16:9 screen). Theres also a letter box version which may be the anamorphic type. Just need someone to clarify this for me?

I will need the version which covers all film aspect ratios (not too concerned with masking at this point.

Rgds

CH

ReTrO

If you have a native 16:9 projector then you'll want a 1.78:1 HDTV screen (16:9).

Cool-hand

Thanks Retro,

I just needed that confirming.... didn't want a screen where i missed several inches from the top and bottom of the screen or had to reduce the picture losing info from the sides!

rgds

ch

ReTrO

The only one you need to watch out for catching you out is 1.85:1. It's very close to 1.78:1 (16:9) but slighty wider/less high, and is used occasionally for films.

Off The Fence

One other thing.

The HCMW finish on a pulldown screen is susceptible to wrinkles (kinda soft creases). It's not too bad (I've got one), but I reckon it could annoy some people.

If you trawl the AVS forums you can find out more...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom