1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

da-lite m white or Glass Beaded

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PIPO, Mar 20, 2003.

1. PIPO

PIPO
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    please help me

i want to buy a da-lite screen model b.

matte white is 1.0 gain

Glass Beaded is 2.0 gain

should i go for:confused: what

2. ji_

ji_
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dunno if this will be a lot of help, but for what its worth....

I have one of those really cheap projector screens ona tripod - you know the sort of thing people used to use for slides of their holidays! I have this as a sotop gap before I get a real screen and as it only cost a fiver in a 2nd hand shop it makes sense. This screen is glass beaded, and whilst it is very bright, the beading gives the picture a sort of 'dirty' look - sligtly streaked like the screen needs cleaning.

For a fiver I am not bothered, but I wouldn't want to buy a new screen like this!

HTH - let us know what you went for and what you think.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, we'll try.

:clap:

What projector? CRT or LCD/DLP? What viewing requirments/conditions?

Impossible to answer without more information.

:smoke:

4. PIPO

PIPO
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PANNY AE300

THE ROOM HAS A LITTLE MORE LIGHT I HOPE FOR.
    DISTANCE TO SCREEN - 3.5 M

THE BUDGET IS SHORT AND IT AS TO BE A DA-LITE.
    213CM-213CM

THANKS FOR REPLY:D

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I thought all glass bead screens were retro reflective, is that right?

If it is you won't be able to ceiling mount the PJ as the light will be reflected back to where it came from.

Having said that the sample of high gain beaded material I got was very nice and gave a bright enough picture to use with even a fair amount of ambient light.

I would have gone for it but the PJ had to go on the ceiling.
    Disadvantages of the High gain were it lightened the blacks and the viewing angle wasn't that wide.

6. totem

totem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been thinking about getting a Da-Lite screen as projector central recommend them for the AE300 -the high contrast model. But can't seem to find a UK supplier.
    Any suggestions?

7. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    PIPO,
    I wouldn't recommend using a glass beaded screen with a LCD projector. Pixels don't normally go well with beads from what I have seen.

As avanzato said, the light reflected off a beaded screen is normally very directional. Beaded screens are primarily for low light CRT front projectors. Once good characteristic of beaded screens is that they often reflect light from the sides back to sides and not to the viewers. A negative side affect is the narrow viewing angle, which is a problem. You also have to have the screen oriented correctly to go with the mounting position of the projector so that light is reflected towards the viewers and not the ceiling.

There can also be problems with luminance uniformity across the screen, sometimes hotspotting, etc, etc. I wouldn't use a glass beaded screen unless I really had to.

With LCDs & DLPs, a matt white screen (typically 1.0-1.2 gain) is a safe bet.

Kind Regards,

8. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    can you post a link or two to such matte ~1 gain screens... I am about to get a 300u too and want a pull down screen.. the projector will be near ceiling mounted... I was looking at a grandview screen as they were the only ones i could find.. they dont actually talk about gains though which is a bit disturbing.. I'll try to see if their homepage is working now.. :) they are sold as dalite clones i think...

Where is the best place to buy these screens for LCD projectors ceiling mounted... thanks :)

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks... gotta get my projector first and am still waiting on that... hitting some resistance to the whole thing too so I am not going to be able to order as soon as i liked.... going to make another post up on the problem that I have and see if anyone can help...

Cheers tho...