1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Da Lite, Draper or Grandview?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by frederic, Oct 27, 2003.

1. frederic

frederic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a 16:9 pull down screen to go with my sony HS3?Which of these brands do you recommend?

2. Hugh

Hugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    I've got a Da-lite Model C running at 106" (16x9) and I'm not too impressed. I have a couple of "waves/ripples" at each side.

Probably due to the size. Maybe a smaller size wouldn't sag quite so much.

Might look at replacing it in the near future, unless anyone can suggest a good method for tensioning it simply.

Anyone else have these ripples on Da-lite screens?

Will I get similar results on other makes, due to the size?

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I'd avoid Draper if I were you. More wrinkles than Grandma without her makeup :)

Speaking from experience - Draper screen not grandma with no makeup :D

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    I have a draper, and it has wrinkles too. Manual pull down job.

Any suggestions for a replacment that might happen to fit the same hooks in the ceiling? I

5. Robbie Gnome

Robbie Gnome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, stumbled over this post and had to jump in. I have a 106" Draper Lumar Manual Pulldown screen and agree it does have some minor wrinkles bottom left and right of the screen. A very easy fix is to remove the pole from the bottom of the screen, fill it with bog standard sand - B&Q / Homebase then re-fit back on screen. This adds just the right amoount of weight to GENTLY pull at the wrinkles. Trial and error on the amount of sand needed but works a treat once sorted. Acts a little bit like Tab Tensioning on an expensive screen.

Just a quick question for Frederic, I am currently running an HS-2 and want to upgrade to the HS-3. I am using a Sony Short Throw Conversion Lens I imported from Japan, it's model number is VPLL-CW20. My question is does the HS-3 have this lens listed in the user manual?

Would be great if you could check for me as this lens is vital for the screen size vs throw distsnce I have.

6. frederic

frederic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Probably due to the size. Maybe a smaller size wouldn't sag quite so much."

I'm thinking of getting a 6 ft (16:9). Maybe it won't be as bad.

I can't answer your question Robbie cause I ordered the HS3 from unbeatable.co.uk (best price) but it's not in stock yet. Still waiting..... I will let you know as soon as I get it.
    Maybe we'll start getting posts about the HS3 cause the first batches have been sent.

7. Robbie Gnome

Robbie Gnome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Frederic, look forward to a write up and the Lens Info. We want screenshots in the Krammer style. Would still stand by my choice on a 106"diagonal / 8 foot wide screen. The sand fix sounds NUTS but it really works. You will only kick yourself if you compromise on screen size, I did when I bought my 92" diagonal / 7 foot wide Draper.

TRY http://www.av-sales.com/html/draper_luma_screen.html

These guys are VERY helpful

8. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Robbie,

Top stuff, I've a Draper Luma with a few wrinkles as well I will give this a try ASAP.

Klippie.

9. frederic

frederic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This screen is going in my lounge. I won't have a dedicated home cinema room. Because of the minimum distance from the screen (1.5 times width of screen, according to this forum) I can't have a much bigger screen. Plus I've been told that contrast and brightness will be even better when projected on a "smaller" size screen. 67" by 45" viewing area will be a great improvment on my "normal" TV.

10. Robbie Gnome

Robbie Gnome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point Frederic, size isn't everything :D Well that's what I say to my girlfriend :laugh:

Look forward to your write up on your HS-3.

Hope the sand does the trick Klippie, works wonders on mine.

11. frederic

frederic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was it easy to remove the pole from the bottom of the screen without damaging it?

I have recently read good review about "Projecta" Screens. Has anyone tried this brand? What's the wrinkle situation?

12. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Projecta screens are made by Da-Lite.

13. Robbie Gnome

Robbie Gnome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Frederic, it was very easy to remove the pole from the screen. Just gently twist one of the endcaps of the pole then slide it from the screen. Funnel the sand down the pole re-thread the pole and attach end cap. JOB DONE

14. frederic

frederic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am now thinking of getting this pull up screen. It is tensionned so it should wrinkle:

http://www.markgoldie.co.uk/oldsite/hc/hc6.html

It's more expensive than a pull down screen though (£500 inc vat for a 6 ft wide 16:9)

I'm fortunate enough to be able to claim the vat back on my projector and screen!