D800 to D7500/D500 for birds

WozzaB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been using a D800 for a few years now, I originally got it as a multipurpose camera, wildlife, landscape, streets etc.
I now find myself pretty much only doing wildlife shots, mainly birds. I use a Sigma 150-600mm C with the D800, I have been doing a bit of reading and I might be better with a DX body as I tend to crop in a lot with the FX body as the subjects are usually a fair distance away.
I was looking at the D7200, then the D7500 was mentioned when reading reviews and then obviously the D500 then popped into the conversations.
They all seem to be a better option for birds than the D800, faster FPS for action, better AF on the D7500 & D500 from what I gather, plus a few more benefits.

Anyone got any advice on this, I can't really see a downside apart from losing the FX sensor and higher MP?

Err message due to shutter issues is an Achilles heel for Nikon on what are otherwise stunning cameras.

I missed this thread first time around and wondered if anyone considered the D850 instead of the D500 as it’s a FF camera that more or less turns into the D500 when using DX mode, especially if you use the grip to give 9fps?
I was looking at the D850 as it seemed the obvious upgrade from my D800, but it was just too much to spend to be honest.
I'm getting used to the D500 now, it exposes the shots slightly differently to the D800. The D500 seems to favour protecting brighter backgrounds, so the subject can look a bit darker than I'm used to as the D800 wouldn't protect the brighter highlights as much.
So now when I have a shot that I know the subject will look a bit dark, I bump the EV to between 0.3 and 1.3 to compensate.

Upvote 0
I was looking at the D850 as it seemed the obvious upgrade from my D800, but it was just too much to spend to be honest.
I'm getting used to the D500 now, it exposes the shots slightly differently to the D800. The D500 seems to favour protecting brighter backgrounds, so the subject can look a bit darker than I'm used to as the D800 wouldn't protect the brighter highlights as much.
So now when I have a shot that I know the subject will look a bit dark, I bump the EV to between 0.3 and 1.3 to compensate.
Nikon went that way with all their cameras I believe. There’s been some discussion about it and the general consensus was that shadow recovery is so good that they preserve highlights knowing that you can boost the lower end in post processing. I’ve not seen anything official from Nikon though. 1.3 ev sounds a lot though.

Upvote 0
Nikon went that way with all their cameras I believe. There’s been some discussion about it and the general consensus was that shadow recovery is so good that they preserve highlights knowing that you can boost the lower end in post processing. I’ve not seen anything official from Nikon though. 1.3 ev sounds a lot though.
I did read a few bits and pieces about the exposure, 1.3 is the max I've used so far, it's usually 0.3-0.7.
You can lift the shadow detail really well as you said, so not a major thing anyway, I'm just getting used to it still after using the D800 for 6 years or so!

Upvote 0
I did read a few bits and pieces about the exposure, 1.3 is the max I've used so far, it's usually 0.3-0.7.
You can lift the shadow detail really well as you said, so not a major thing anyway, I'm just getting used to it still after using the D800 for 6 years or so!
I usually boost exposure in processing by 0.3 to 1.0 and I'm pleased with the results for landscape. Great camera to be honest, big improvement over the old D300. Really pleased with the purchase.

By the way I'm still crap at bird photography. I was surrounded today with Red Kites near the car park on the Black Mountain in Carmarthenshire
DSC_2040.JPG
and this was about the best that I could muster. One thing you can say about mountains......they don't move.

Upvote 0
That looks alright to me.
Flying birds are very hard and you need a lot of practice and to accept a lot of bad images for a one or two good ones.
I had a go and I don't have the patience and more importantly I'm not that interested in birds so it doesn't hold my attention.
Hills and mountains are much more willing subjects :)

Upvote 0
I usually boost exposure in processing by 0.3 to 1.0 and I'm pleased with the results for landscape. Great camera to be honest, big improvement over the old D300. Really pleased with the purchase.

By the way I'm still crap at bird photography. I was surrounded today with Red Kites near the car park on the Black Mountain in Carmarthenshire View attachment 1584813and this was about the best that I could muster. One thing you can say about mountains......they don't move.
That's not a bad effort if it's not something you do often!
It really does take a lot of patience and practice!

I'm not great at landscapes to be honest, I struggle to see a good composition sometimes, so I'll stick to wildlife!

Upvote 0

By the way I'm still crap at bird photography. I was surrounded today with Red Kites near the car park on the Black Mountain in Carmarthenshire View attachment 1584813and this was about the best that I could muster. One thing you can say about mountains......they don't move.
Just lifted the shadow detail a bit, I'm no expert with post processing though lol!

kite.JPG

Upvote 0
I was photographing a heron on the canoe course at our local country park when my missus shouted 'to your right, to your right.....swans'. I looked up to see this year's cygnets and one of the adults about to land in the water. I managed to get off one shot. Luck not judgement.

DSC_2299.JPG

Upvote 0
I'm getting used to the D500 more now and enjoying it, initially I was unsure if I'd made a mistake selling the D800!
But no regrets now, the 10fps helps a lot with birds in flight and landing/splashing on water etc, and the auto focus is a beast as well!

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom