D800 Telephoto Help

Reaction score
Folks it feels like ages since I've been on here but I'm looking for some advice!

I've been looking for a telephoto lens for my D800 with the intention of using it for some wildlife shooting, maybe birds and a little motorsport/aviation.

It appears to me that all those things would need the same thing really and thats length! I've been looking at a few options (without spending thousands!) which are the following:

1. Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 DG OS - £600 approx new just now due to a cashback deal seems to get broadly good reviews but was a bit concerned about performance on the D800 and also the slower speed of the lens.

2. Sigma 100-300 f4 DG EX - £400 Approx Used and would give me the option of the 1.4x teleconverter to get 420mm f5.6 - obviously quicker than the Sigma 150-500 if shorter (even with the TC) and no OS

3. Nikon 300mm f4 AF-S - £700 Approx Used - again seems to get rave reviews and the option of 420mm f5.6 with the 1.4x telecoverter although closer to £1000 by the time thats added - also no VR/OS. Also not sure if I'd miss some of the shorter range as my other main lens is a 24-70 f2.8.

Price wise it looks like either of the Sigma's would be the best bet with not a lot between them by the time I consider buying a TC for the 100-300 but I'd be interested to hear thoughts/comparisons from folks who have used the lenses.

I think you've listed the obvious choices except one. A 70-200 VR and 2x TC, still offers 140-400 @ F5.6. It will give you a lot of flexibility but 400mm may be a little short for all of your uses.

1) Good lens if you get a good copy, bit slow but you do get the extra FL.
2) Optically very good
3) Prime offers no flexibility in your case, I personally wouldn't consider it.

You know the D800 has a crop mode right?

Have a look at some of johnalex pictures and posts, think he went through the same process a year or so ago, he went for a nikon 80-400 with a 1.4x converter on his D800e. The lens may just creep into your budget second hand.

Thanks Twist - I think your right the prime for now isn't really an option - I really like the Sigma 100-300 on Crop (Sony A77) but wasn't sure how it might stack up on the D800 - although I can't see it being any worse than the 150-500, also as you say it could take a few attempts to get a good copy!

70-200 would be an option but I think pricewise it probably isn't!

Thanks Twist - I think your right the prime for now isn't really an option - I really like the Sigma 100-300 on Crop (Sony A77) but wasn't sure how it might stack up on the D800 - although I can't see it being any worse than the 150-500, also as you say it could take a few attempts to get a good copy!

70-200 would be an option but I think pricewise it probably isn't!

A 100-300 and 1.4x may be okay and probably the one to look into in terms of value, as you know you can still crop a hell of a lot with a D800 and still have a decent image so your 420mm could quite easily be 500mm but its wether its sharper than the 150-500 stopped down a little and then they are at the same aperture BUT the 150-500 will have effective OS.

If you aren't in a hurry for the lens, you might want to consider the new Tamron 150-600.
It will be pushing your budget (since you would have to buy new), but looks (from the Canon samples) to be very good for the price.

There are some questions over AF performance when trying to track BIF, but opinions appear divided on this being a lens issue, or due to users begin unfamiliar with the very large focal lengths - and there are not enough copies around to make a definitive judgement.

Have a look at some of johnalex pictures and posts, think he went through the same process a year or so ago, he went for a nikon 80-400 with a 1.4x converter on his D800e. The lens may just creep into your budget second hand.

I have to say I am very happy with the 80-400 and the TC, but be careful if you are looking for a second hand lens and be sure you do not buy the old 80-400 the "D" version. The one you need to look for is Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G. If you do look on my flickr pages Flickr: johnaalex's Photostream you search for photos tagged with "Nikon AF-S 80-400 f4.5-5.6G".

Guys thanks for weighing in - I think I've narrowed it down to either of the zooms for now - cost wise theres not going to be much in it (£585 with the cashback for the 150-500 or £600 roughly for the 100-300 f4 with the 1.4x TC)

Would probably prefer the backup of the brand new lens and maybe the OS in the 150-500 but not totally convinced its going to be fast enough

Well I pulled the trigger on the Sigma 100-300 f4 and it came today - 1.4x teleconverter should be here tomorrow.

Much bigger than I remembered but feels good with the D800 - just had a quick play - think I will miss not having OS but I'm sure I'll get used to it!

Well I pulled the trigger on the Sigma 100-300 f4 and it came today - 1.4x teleconverter should be here tomorrow.

Much bigger than I remembered but feels good with the D800 - just had a quick play - think I will miss not having OS but I'm sure I'll get used to it!

Monopod

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom