D80 or D200

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Biscuit761, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Biscuit761

Biscuit761

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    May change up if I get a few more commisions ( although still waiting for the next call) and am having a bit of trouble deciding on the next step.

D80 is supposed to be very good - is the D200 £200 - £300 better ?

On another tack - when I put pictures either direct from my D50 or via CD in the DVD player onto the TV they look awful wheras I remember pictures taken on my old 1.3megapixel camera were quite good. I assume that this is down to too many pixels for the TV to cope with. What is a good pixel count for displaying on a standard 28" 16:9 TV ?

Thanks

Bill

2. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG][/IMG]

The main differences above,but image quailty will be the same.They have the same sensor well the D80 has the Sony ICX493AQA sensor, which is a two-channel version of the four-channel Sony ICX483AQA used in the D200. The difference is one has more pins so it can read out data quickly enough for the D200's 5FPS, otherwise it's the same data and image quality.)

You pay for build and the extra 2fps a second.Although stick a battery grip on the D80 and it feels like a different beast.

Unless your shooting alot of sports or plan to take the camera to some unforgiving enviroment The D80 is the choice,especially as the D300 comes out in November which I am saving for as we speak;)

SidebySide

Hope that helps

sorry abou the Tv thing not sure on that

3. Fozzybear

Fozzybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    I went through the same thing recently but decided that the D80 would give me all the functions and specs I felt were lacking with the D50 (bar the interval timer) and I didn't really need the tank build (and extra weight) of the D200 as I don't treat my camera that roughly*. Compatibility with SD was an advantage too. The D80 doesn't meter with old MF lenses but I don't have or need any so that's no biggy for me.

* the son of the guy who bought my D50 thought it was a new camera - not bad for 18 months of fairly heavy use (10500 shots)

4. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
  5. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    I agree with Vulkan - Go with the D80. The main advantages of the D200 are the weather shielding and build, FPS, MF lens compatibility. It does have a slightly better viewfinder an then D80 with lot of extra information.

On the down side, the battery life seems very poor - coming from the D50 it'll seem very power hungry.

If you want to make a real jump, and are happy to throw money at it - go with the D300 - you'll get some real advantages then. The D200 is going to feel out of date very quickly now. :rolleyes:

I'm looking at the D300 - but only if I can make it pay for itself. :rolleyes:

6. tontoshorse

tontoshorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    Bill, I've just done the D50 to D200 jump and like you looked at the D80 step.

Firstly the D200 has a few disadvantages over the D50

poor battery life (and it takes different batteries)
    no IR shutter release
    CF memory instead of SD
    the weight of it made my cheap tripod useless and had to invest in another
    more button, dials and switches that you could shake a proverbial stick at.
    the rear lcd screen isnt much good in bright light
    and if its not bad enough having "nikon" in dayglo yellow on the strap, they've put "D200" on as well.

On the up side, apart from the extra quality,
    The lcd lights up (well I find that handy)
    Once the menu is understood you can devise and store user settings
    its a heck of a beast!

If you do get the D80 how long will it be before you hanker after another upgrade?

As the post above suggests - get one this weekend for £700 ish:devil:

cheers

7. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    The D200 has a few little extras that might add up to £200 worth for you.

The 5fps is the biggy. You get more AF options, though the AF module is the same. The exposure accurary is better on the D200. You get a 22 RAW buffer vs 6, a smaller shutter lag (50ms vs 80ms). The battery life issue is apparently related to writing RAW files. I gather that a D80 shooting RAW will only get 500 shots as well.

I prefer the buttons on the D200 - more dedicated buttons and dials so it's generally easier to change modes. You also get a proper mirror lockup mode.

If you do a fair amount of action photography, you'll LOVE the D200. For less demanding shooting, you'll not really notice the difference.

8. stebbo2

stebbo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'd also go for the D200, especially as you shoot a lot of sport.

9. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Of course, the downside is that if you shell out for a D200 now, you'll have a harder time justifying that D300 later :devil:

Preview just went up incidentally...

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond300/

Considering the £1300 price tag, it might not push the D200 down that much, but it'll kill the D2Xs stone dead :eek:

10. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Interesting reading - A serious bit of kit.

11. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    im confused about why people insist the battery life is poor on the D200. Believing this myself I bought the grip mb 200 as I usually take 1500-2000 shots a shoot. I ensure the back screen is off and dont review much after the initial setup but can usually get the shoot completed off 1 battery, or so the software tells me in the battery info screen with the 2nd battery remaining at 100%.

12. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    According to Thom Hogan, who REALLY knows his stuff, it's a wierd gremlin specific to writing .NEF files. I have to admit to needing two batteries for 500 shots when using VR and shooting NEF+jpg.

13. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    ive no doubt Thom knows his stuff, ive frequently visited his site for advice, im just going by my own experiences of shooting nefs and using a non VR lens.

back on topic though, if it were my choice i'd sit back and wait for the D300. It will either knocks the socks off the D200 or push the price of it down further, either way you cant lose