D700 focus problems

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Biscuit761, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Biscuit761

Biscuit761

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    Bought a second hand D700 body off of eBay earlier in the year, price I paid was what they were going for at the time so was happy with that - until the new price dropped by over £200 a week later which brought it to a level that I would have paid for new instead of second hand !

Anyway, I have only used it a few times since getting it as my original one has my favourite strap on it and usually is ready with a lens on but each time I have there has been this nagging doubt that the autofocus is not right. Using Nikon. 24-70 2.8, 80-200 2.8 and Sigma 120-300 2.8 as the main lenses.

Tried auto focus adjustment last night with the camera tethered to my 24" iMac. Got the 24-70 set ok but it's at -20, however although both the others seem better than they we're at -20 they are still not spot on - think I need -30 settings !

Did a few test shots this morning and in all cases the bit in focus seems to be a few inches behind were I want it (back focussing ?)

Can this be cured without expensive repairs ?

Wish I had held on a bit now as the D800 is starting to loom in my mind ...

Bill

2. Johnmcl7

Johnmcl7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,535
    How are you testing focus? That sounds wrong to me to be so far out as my D700 seems to focus fine on its own and always has done, the D700 generally has a good reputation for its AF systems.

As for the D800, I had money set aside for one but I've been put off by the frequent reports of AF problems as I had a DSLR with AF problems previously and it's not something I want to repeat.

John

3. Biscuit761

Biscuit761

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    When I got the camera it had a label on saying it was factory refurbished but speaking to Nikon it must be an import as all UK recurve come in a black box he was not too interested I am afraid.

It's not miles out now and on manual focus gives great pictures so I am sure it can be fixed

4. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,930
    Just send it in to Nikon for a service and calibration, that way you'll conclusively know..

5. simonblue

simonblue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,802
    In a adgeedment :)