D70/D100 - take it back woman

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Buzzeditor, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Buzzeditor

Buzzeditor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My wife, a photographer, went into Jessops today to buy a new hi spec digi camera.
    She came out with a D70, when she thought she was buying a D100 (I know, I know, don't ask me how but it happened). It came to £970 including a 2GB card and a 18-70mm lens.
    Now, the camera will be used for weddings, child portraits and the like. I'm saying take it back and shop around to get the camera you really want and she thinks it will do.
    My wife already has a set of Nikon SLR lens.
    So, is the D100 much better than the D70?
    Could we have got a better price elsewhere?

2. RayP

RayP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    Buzz,

I bought a D70 last Saturday from John Lewis in Cheadle. Their price is £749 including the Nikon 18-70 lens but no memory. I bought a Lexar 256Mb 40X for £39. Nikon are offering £100 off this deal until 31 March so the real cost is £649. Considering the D70 was going for around £900 last Oct it's now a real bargain.

Your missus seems to have paid over the odds. The 2Gb cards are very expensive. A few 512Mb cards might have represented better value.

Cheers,

3. Benrudd1

Benrudd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    hi,
    The general consensus seems to be that the D70 is infact a better camera than the D100. It has faster startup time, no shutter release lag, higher flash sync speeds and is cheaper. Against it, the D100 has a heavier duty construction and will take the add on battery grip.

Take a look here for a full hands on review of the D70 and some comparisons against the D100.

However the price paid does seem a little steep even allowing for the £100 cashback offer.

Hope this helps :)

4. Buzzeditor

Buzzeditor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that we have indeed paid too much. Pixmania have the same kit for £695 - some £125 cheaper. I thought Jessops had some price matching deal on - I might try that.
    Digital cameras are moving on so fast I have a Fuji Finepix 6900z and a Kyrocera S5 - both of which have been superceded are now worth little.

5. RayP

RayP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    Buzz,

Be aware that if you buy from some Internet companies the box may not contain an English manual - something essential for a camera of this complexity. This is because they are not specifically for the UK market and are classed as "grey imports".

Jessops stores will be fine of course but I found their price of £800 was still £51 higher than John Lewis.

Good luck!

6. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Jessops do price match, they priced matched my Canon 20D it just has to be a UK based company. Always better having a store front if you can help it. Learnt that the hard way last year.

Return the D70 or get them to price match. Check out pricerunner for the best prices and use them for the price match

7. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    good advise from seany, buying from a camera shop like jessops, guarantees that you have a uk sourced product, and of course, a counter to slap the camera on should you be unlucky enough to have problems,..on an even better note, I bought a second hand D70 last month, and I am still thrilled with it and the results, I cannot express in words, the difference between the D70 and my Canon G2,G3 or fuji finepix s602zoom, the D70 is marvelous in comparison.
    I paid £450 for it with the 18-70dx lense, and could not quite understand why the last owner who bought it in august 2004 sold it quite so soon, but again, with a guarantee, and a shop front to go back to if I have problems, I cannot complain.
    I am very happy with the D70

8. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What happend with me was that my S1 went off to canon for repair, i wanted them to replace it (jessops) but they insisted that it went to canon as they said it was my fault (to be honest it was) i said it was a camera fault. So anyway canon fixed it and i said seeing as they fixed it that meant it wasn't my fault (the warrenty would not have been valid otherwise) and that i wanted a credit note or refund. They agreed and i put it to the 20D.

Would have a been a nightmare if i'd have bought it off ebay/net and i'm sure i'd have been stuck with a camera i never wanted to keep.

Heard many things about bad copies of L lenes on fred miranda and dpreview ect. Which is the only real thing that's making me think twice about letting my pal bring me one back from the states or buying one off ebay.