D600 now or wait for SGH-i300?

Kazman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I can get the D600 now for free on an upgrade, (pay a small amount for the phone and a few months free line rental) or I could wait for the SGH-i300.....

I'm confused at what to do now, I already have a W800i for my main phone, and this would be my secondary phone. Any suggestions?

Kazman said:
I can get the D600 now for free on an upgrade, (pay a small amount for the phone and a few months free line rental) or I could wait for the SGH-i300.....

I'm confused at what to do now, I already have a W800i for my main phone, and this would be my secondary phone. Any suggestions?

Hi Kazman,

How phones do you need!! ;) ;)

atb

Darren

You can never have enough :)

Well, the SGH-i300 is only on O2 initially, so I'm going for the D600 for now, and will get the SGH-i300 later.

:)

Right, D600 ordered, will be with me tomorrow, will post thoughts and do a head to head with the W800i and post back :).

ooer.

D600 has arrived, and it is lurrrrvly :)

The screen is amazing!!!! and the whole feel and build of it is in a higher class than the D500 ever was or could be, lovely soft touch rubberised plastics on the surround casing and the buttons feel solid.

Very classy.

In fact, I think it looks better than the Nokia 8800 I checked out.

Couldn't transfer all of my contacts across straight away though :( so will have to sync contacts at home.

Very impressed so far, the screen is amazing!!

The W800i looks, erm, a little cheap and tacky next to it actually :eek:

Samsung have done well!!

Ive been contemplating between the W800 and the D600. Gotta admit that im swayed towards the D600 as, like Kazman says, the W800 does look a bit tacky. I got the D500 at the mo and the D600 looks like the natural progression?
Kazman, is the D600 layout similar to the D500?

2ii2 said:
Ive been contemplating between the W800 and the D600. Gotta admit that im swayed towards the D600 as, like Kazman says, the W800 does look a bit tacky. I got the D500 at the mo and the D600 looks like the natural progression?
Kazman, is the D600 layout similar to the D500?

yup, very similar, but much better build, nicer materials and the screen blows the D500's away!!

It looks and feels much nicer in the hand, and is a much more classy product than the D500 was, very impressed with it.

well according to this http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=900&idPhone1=1103 the d600 has a worse battery as im sure i got the 1000mah one with mine,no infrared (bit of a pain as not all my friends have bluetooth) and the camera isnt concealed when the slide is down (is that true btw ?) apat from that it does look like a nice phone but i dont think it does enough different (certainly not looks wise) to get me to go from my d500 to a d600,im going to be nokia bound for my next one i think.

can you use any mp3 as a text tone on this one ? i hate that about my d500 hopefully they have sorted that out for the d600.also could you tell me if it still has the rubber gromit on the front for easier sliding ? my mate has an e800 and that doesnt hae the rubber and its just not as nice to move up.

Will check out the mp3 as a text tone later tonight or tomorrow.

As for a comparison with the D500, the D600 wins hands down for build and the screen clarity makes the D500 screen look dated :eek:

I had a D500 for a while, and liked it, but, the D600 kinda blows it out of the water.

They may look very similar in pictures, and don't go by the look and feel of the dummy models they have in stores, it in no way shape or form demonstrates the tactility of the D600 or its build, in those respects, it's leagues ahead of most other phones on the market.

It has that quality feel like you get in high quality German car interiors, anybody with an Audi will feel right at home as the phone feels like it uses the same quality of materials that are found in there :D

I still prefer the O/S and general usability of the Sony Ericsson W800i though, but for style, build (by a massive amount) and just pure class, the D600 wins hands down. I wasn't expecting to like it this much, in fact, I was ready to just sell it on as soon as the SGH-i300 was released, but now, I think I'll keep it :)

And yes, the camera is on the outside, but not really much of an issue for me, majority of camera phones have their cameras on the outside, and very very few have them concealed or protected, the lens is fairly deeply set anyway, so not much chance of it getting scratched unless one does it on purpose.

SILVERBACK said:
well according to this http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=900&idPhone1=1103 the d600 has a worse battery as im sure i got the 1000mah one with mine,no infrared (bit of a pain as not all my friends have bluetooth) and the camera isnt concealed when the slide is down (is that true btw ?) apat from that it does look like a nice phone but i dont think it does enough different (certainly not looks wise) to get me to go from my d500 to a d600,im going to be nokia bound for my next one i think.

can you use any mp3 as a text tone on this one ? i hate that about my d500 hopefully they have sorted that out for the d600.also could you tell me if it still has the rubber gromit on the front for easier sliding ? my mate has an e800 and that doesnt hae the rubber and its just not as nice to move up.

must admit i havent seen one in the flesh so hopefully your enthusiastic comments do it justice as it does look rather plain from the pics.

In answer to the question about changing the SMS message tone to an MP3 - the answer is no, they haven't fixed that. And having had the phone for just one day, I'm finding it to be pretty annoying! I'm a nokia user through and through - have been for years, but their offerings of late have been pretty uninspiring. Now thinking about sending this back for the W800i/K750i.
The other thing that annoys me about it is that the screen goes off and totally black so that you can't see anything at all without pressing a button or using the slider. This is the biggest gripe I have with it because I'm sure I can get used to the text tones on the phone!

Does the W800i have the same "screen off" problem? I mainly want to know what time it is and whether I've missed any calls with just a quick glance.

Maybe I should just stick with the Nokia 6230i as it will probably do all I want anyway?! Very boring option though when upgrading from a 6230!

Yes, the one gripe I have with the D600 is it's menu structure, but once you are used to it, it isn't too bad at all. The screen turning off completely doesn't really bother me, I might check the display settings a little later to see if one can have a screen saver instead.

The W800i screen does not turn off completely though, the backlight dims out yes, but the time is still displayed on the phone, and also message + missed call icons.

The usability aspect is the W800i's main advantage over the D600. Still, one can never argue against Nokias menu systems, they have always been the most intuitive, pity their phones are a little boring right now :(

ruth11 said:
In answer to the question about changing the SMS message tone to an MP3 - the answer is no, they haven't fixed that. And having had the phone for just one day, I'm finding it to be pretty annoying! I'm a nokia user through and through - have been for years, but their offerings of late have been pretty uninspiring. Now thinking about sending this back for the W800i/K750i.
The other thing that annoys me about it is that the screen goes off and totally black so that you can't see anything at all without pressing a button or using the slider. This is the biggest gripe I have with it because I'm sure I can get used to the text tones on the phone!

Does the W800i have the same "screen off" problem? I mainly want to know what time it is and whether I've missed any calls with just a quick glance.

Maybe I should just stick with the Nokia 6230i as it will probably do all I want anyway?! Very boring option though when upgrading from a 6230!

i wouldnt mind if the text tones were ok but there hideous and on my d500 i have the text alerts set to vibrate instead of a tone in fear of embarrassing myself lol.pretty poor really considering its a new phone,i was atleast hoping maybe for a firmware update for mine but for them to release a new model and not have this feature is a bit poor really imo.

LOL! Yes, the text tones are rather poor :) :)

I've got mine set to number 7 though, which is short, and most importantly, simple :)

It's little things like this where the W800i is way ahead.

Wonder if they will sort it for the SGH-i300 :) That phone will be using the Microsoft OS.

Until seeing this thread yesterday, I hadn't heard of the i300 but I just checked and the O2 website says it will be available in November. Looks good but got a feeling it might be a bit expensive - and can't help feeling that with the 3gb drive it might be a bit big for me. I like my phones to be small and fit in my jeans pocket. I do like the idea of it being the MS OS though...
Think I might have to send my d600 back and then wait it out and see what comes out for christmas! The W800i sounds like a good option for me, but would prefer it not to be white! Have seen info from people saying you can change the case but that it would void your warranty doing it. Or you can flash the K750i with W800i firmware, but surely that would invalidate your warranty too!

Cheers everyone, I'm still at a bit of a loss what to do!
Ruth

P.S. Kazman - if you find out how to put a screensaver on, please let me know cos I haven't found it yet and it may just be the saving grace!

Hi Ruth

The K750i and W800i are practically identical menu structure wise, and if you aren't too bothered about the walkman functionality, then the K750i is a fine buy. It still has an mp3 player, just not as easily accessible as the W800i one.

I couldn't find any function to switch on a screen saver in standby mode unfortunately, I agree, it's a feature that Samsung should have included, the D500 had it, so don't understand why they left off such a vital feature such as this for the D600. The screen quality and build quality have won me over big time though, it just feels so solid and looks very nice.

If you think the D600 has an annoying menu structure, you should try a motorola phone ;) It would drive you nuts :D

You might be luckier to get a trade for a K750i rather than sending it back, might be worth trying the Forum classifieds :).

ruth11 said:
Until seeing this thread yesterday, I hadn't heard of the i300 but I just checked and the O2 website says it will be available in November. Looks good but got a feeling it might be a bit expensive - and can't help feeling that with the 3gb drive it might be a bit big for me. I like my phones to be small and fit in my jeans pocket. I do like the idea of it being the MS OS though...
Think I might have to send my d600 back and then wait it out and see what comes out for christmas! The W800i sounds like a good option for me, but would prefer it not to be white! Have seen info from people saying you can change the case but that it would void your warranty doing it. Or you can flash the K750i with W800i firmware, but surely that would invalidate your warranty too!

Cheers everyone, I'm still at a bit of a loss what to do!
Ruth

P.S. Kazman - if you find out how to put a screensaver on, please let me know cos I haven't found it yet and it may just be the saving grace!

Actually, the menu structure is fine. It's just the minor issues which actually bug me quite a lot! The message tone and the screen-off features are rubbish and are actually enough to make me send it back!
Sounds silly I know, but it's the little things that are important, as they say!
;-)

ruth11 said:
Actually, the menu structure is fine. It's just the minor issues which actually bug me quite a lot! The message tone and the screen-off features are rubbish and are actually enough to make me send it back!
Sounds silly I know, but it's the little things that are important, as they say!
;-)

Heh heh, true, I can see the screen off thing being a little annoying, but not so much the message tone :) I mean, tone 7 for the message tones is more than acceptable :) But with the D600 geared as being a business phone, it seems a little strange to have so many, erm, interesting message alert tones :D

The screen turning off is a major ommission, but not a major annoyance, an annoyance yes, but not major :), it's just a case of hitting one of the buttons to check the display, one extra little bit of effort further to just glancing the screen (which I agree would be much more preferable than having to hit a button to see it).

Not enough to return the phone :p :)

It's such a stylish phone, if Samsung had included those features it would be perfect :)

Oh, I don't like the way one sends a text message though, that is just as long winded as the D500 was :(.

Keep it Ruthy, you know you want to :D

I've got my message tone set to 7 - like you say, the best of a bad bunch!

Just thought of something else that bugs me - it doesn't vibrate and ring at the same time! You can only set it to Vibrate, Ring, or Vibrate then ring.

Just received a 6230i (second contract upgrade!) and so far I'm liking it. But then I would because it's very similar to the 6230 that I was using until yesterday! Maybe I'll just stick with the 6230i, send the D600 back for now and upgrade that contract when there's a clear winner out there with everything I want!
Come on Nokia, bring out a cool phone that's not the size of the average house brick!
;-)

It is a shame that Nokia don't have anything that is a clear winner out there right now, it's a shame as they used to be at the cutting edge all of the time.

Still think you should stick with the D600 ;) :).

I'm quite happy with the W800i and D600 combo right now, I was going to go for a Nokia 7710, but it was just too big :( :( :( :(

Come on Nokia, step up to the plate and deliver like you used to :)

ruth11 said:
I've got my message tone set to 7 - like you say, the best of a bad bunch!

Just thought of something else that bugs me - it doesn't vibrate and ring at the same time! You can only set it to Vibrate, Ring, or Vibrate then ring.

Just received a 6230i (second contract upgrade!) and so far I'm liking it. But then I would because it's very similar to the 6230 that I was using until yesterday! Maybe I'll just stick with the 6230i, send the D600 back for now and upgrade that contract when there's a clear winner out there with everything I want!
Come on Nokia, bring out a cool phone that's not the size of the average house brick!
;-)

One more question before I give up with this decision.
What's the screen like on the W800i? The D600 has an awesome screen - it's actually growing on me a bit because of it. Having spent some of today with a 6230i I can see what a difference the screen makes - I just hate the fact that for the most part, the best bit is actually switched off! As soon as I close the D600 the screen goes black (well, ok, not as soon as, but after about 5-10 secs it's black).
Is the W800i comparable to the D600 screen?

Cheers
Ruth

In a word....NO!

The screen on the D600 is head and shoulders above the one on the W800i, I did some picture tests and you can see visible banding on high res images on the W800i that are just not there on the D600.

You can adjust the length of time the backlight stays on for in the display settings I think.

ruth11 said:
One more question before I give up with this decision.
What's the screen like on the W800i? The D600 has an awesome screen - it's actually growing on me a bit because of it. Having spent some of today with a 6230i I can see what a difference the screen makes - I just hate the fact that for the most part, the best bit is actually switched off! As soon as I close the D600 the screen goes black (well, ok, not as soon as, but after about 5-10 secs it's black).
Is the W800i comparable to the D600 screen?

Cheers
Ruth

As far as my phone is concerned, the back light only stays on for the amount of time specified if you keep the slider open... If you close it, it dims after a couple of seconds and then off.
I think I'm gonna send it back and wait and see what happens in a month or so. I like the look of the i300 and also the new i-mode (z320i) samsung phones, but only if they've improved the stuff that's bugging me now!).
Maybe the 6270/6280 from Nokia will inspire me too!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom