D50 > D100 - Much of a difference?

PaulBoy

I have been offered a D100 body for under £500 (inclds MB-D100 grip)
Would this be significantly better than my D50?
I have read reviews of the D100 and it does have a number of extra features over the D50 but on the downside is "getting on a bit" now ...
If I just sold my D50 body I could expect around £280 (?) as it is pristine & only bought in April '06
I was thinking of changing my 18-70mm & 70-300mm for a 18-200mm anyway (so would consider selling them with the D50 as a "bundle")
I'd appreciate your views on the D100 v D50 first :smashin:
Paul ;)

barongreenback

Novice Member
Considering Nikon look set to release their D70 replacement in the next couple of weeks, I'd hold off. The D100 is quite dated now and technology has moved on - I'd stick with the D50.

SSB

I got a D100, grip, lens and two batteries for £350 the other month. It was a nice enough camera, but I cashed that lot in for a S3 Pro, which I subsequently cashed in to get a D2X ...

But back to your question, I would probably stick with the D50 over the D100 and spend the extra on glass.

md644

Novice Member
I can't really see any reason to go from the D50 to the D100, and I doubt most people would be able to detect a difference in image quality between the two (though at higher ISOs I suspect the D50 would be slightly better). - Unless there's some feature you can't manage without that the D100 has that the D50 doesn't.....

If there IS something that you're finding annoying about the D50, like Barongreenback says, the D70 replacement's announced on August 9th (though when you'll actually be able to buy one is open to question, so maybe that would fit the bill.....

PaulBoy

Thanks everyone! I have blagged a D100 for the day to try out although there seems to be a view that there are few reasons to upgrade at all and based on SSB's reply the one I could get is a bit pricey (?)
Paul :smashin:

PaulBoy

ush flynn said:
didnt believe me huh?
Thought I'd get some other opinions - sorry to upset you :rolleyes:
Paul ;)

ush flynn

Novice Member
im joking around mate, just thought it was funny to see this thread up not long after our pm's! What was it you wanted that the d50 hasnt got ?

PaulBoy

ush flynn said:
im joking around mate, just thought it was funny to see this thread up not long after our pm's! What was it you wanted that the d50 hasnt got ?
No probs! Some folk here are more sensitive than us :devil:
Well like most people I like to think if I could improve anything I have without forking out too much (and its worth it) I'll consider it & that's all I have been doing - Its not that the D100 has a load of stuff the D50 hasnt its just that with it being a couple of rungs up the ladder I wondered if it was worth upgrading too? - as it turns out it does appear do some things better than the D50 but the D50 has some newer technology (as it is newer I believe) and even does some things better than the D100
I've got one to play with today which will convince me one way or the other (I HOPE!)
Paul :smashin:

ush flynn

Novice Member
yeah thats very lucky that you can have the 2 side by side to compare! You will love the d100's magnesium body and how solid it feels! As i remember the d100 is approx 2-3 years older than the d50, and things can certainly move along fast in that time. By boss here has the d100 which he loves but hes been tempted by the 200. Which is a fairly good advancement with another 4mp and a host of new features. Be sure to check the write speeds onto the cards. The D100 takes CF so borrow one of them while your at it

C

captain chunk

Im a devoted D100 user, I chose it over the D70 & D70s because it felt better in my hands. Its doubtful weather you will find and increase in quality of image from the upgrade but, if you drop it you will be glad you made the upgrade.

I also think the D100 needs a firmware upgrade to use the 18-200 vr (nikon wil do this for free).

PaulBoy

I hate cameras :suicide: - I had the loan of a D100 for the day and really liked it :eek: - Its not as big as I thought it was going to be & the "feel" of it was impressive - Obviously there's a bit more to it than the D50 but I was up and running straight away - The D100 has a few features I really liked like the viewfinder grid - it seemed to find focus much quicker than my D50 & the burst mode seemed a bit faster on the D100 - Writing to CF on the D100 didn't seem any different to my D50 writing to its SD card - Picture wise I can't see any difference
If I didn't already own a D50 I'd buy a D100 (if the price was right)
As I do own a D50 & despite most peoples reservations I could still be tempted :eek: (again if the price was right)
My head says "no" but my heart says "maybe" :lesson:
I hate cameras :suicide:
Paul
PS - Did I mention I hate cameras :rolleyes:

ush flynn

Novice Member
yeah cameras have a habbit of doing that to me also!
observe
Had a crappy epson that jessops gave me
Part Ex for a nikon coolpix 4300
Bought a used Canon G3 from a customer at jessops for £60 used for a year and sold on ebay for £155 with card
Bought a used G5 from another customer for £110
Still have that
Bought a canon ixus 50 for my gf
Sold it and got an ixus 60 for the same money (straight swap pretty much)
I bought the panasonic LX1 for myself (still have and love)

The SLR story
Bought a nikon F60 to go travelling with
Customer GAVE me an F75 body which he wanted to get rid of as it was broken. Paid £25 to get it serviced
Sold The F60 body for £80
Bought a nikon Fe2 body with a 50mm 1.4, a 20mm f2 and a 105mm 2.5 (still kept!)
Picked up a used nikon F5 for £300 odd (amazing, dont use it, but amazing)
GF picked up a Canon 20d ( A CANON WTF!!!) for ...... £280 i can not believe it!
Selling the F75 when the D80 comes out

PaulBoy

Wow you've had a few cameras! I made an offer on the D100 (nearly half the asking price) but it was too low - time to stick as I am methinks and continue with my planned glass upgrade :devil:
The D80 (?) sounds interesting - I suppose it will compete against the new Sony - I wonder what "new" technology they'll find for it (apart from the extra pixel count)
Cheers ... Paul :smashin:

ush flynn

Novice Member
hopefully a CCD instead of a CMOS, not sure wether the roumours say the same chip as the sony or a nikon designed one. Im sure the autofocus will get an upgrade to something like the d100/d200's system (similar to my F5 would be even better!)
Live view perhaps? But unlikely, i probably wouldnt use it anyway except for maybe a histogram. Screwthreaded shutter release for an old style remote cord, Integrated WiFi like the newer compacts?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom