• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

D300 at the football

Ballgirl

Established Member
Some nice shots :thumbsup: Did you have any problem getting the camera in the ground. Boundary park is 5 mins away from my house and thought about trying it.

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
Did you smuggle the camera into the ground, or did you have permission?
Nice shots, BTW.

drphibes

Established Member
I was sat in the disabled area of the ground so maybe I got lucky because I do know that taking DSLR's into football grounds can be a hard. The D300 was using continuous focus but I locked the focus on the centre due to the camera wanting to wander off into the crowd at various times.

Steve N

Distinguished Member
I decided to take my D300 to the Oldham v Huddersfield game at the weekend. This was the first time I had ever taken a camera to the football and I was quite pleased with the results. Lens used was a 70-200vr and the pics are straight out of the camera with no pp.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157607563892381/

Good shots.

I was interested to see these as I've got a D300 and 70-200vr.
But never actually used them together yet.
I've considered selling the lens as, because of the weight, I've only used it a couple of times on my old D80.
I tend to use my 18-200vr as an all purpose lens most of the time.

Looking at your shots though I think I'll have to get out and try it on my D300.

drphibes

Established Member
Good shots.

I've considered selling the lens as, because of the weight, I've only used it a couple of times on my old D80.

Looking at your shots though I think I'll have to get out and try it on my D300.

Yes I would give the 70-200vr and try and see what you think. You are correct in stating the this lens is quite heavy and is not ideal to handhold for hours at a time but I do like the results that it gives. Maybe you best bet is give it a try and if you are not happy then I suggest you sell it on and invest in some equipment that is more suited to you.

Cheers

TarMoo

Prominent Member
Good shots.

I also have got a 18-200 and since using my f2.8 105VR I am looking for a 200 zoom lens with better image quality, so will probably get the 70-200VR. The 70-200 is heavy, but is noted for its great bokeh, fast and accurate focus and pin-sharp. The only downside for the 70-200 is that it is not so good full-frame. On a crop body like the D300 or D80 this lens is as good at it gets.

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
The only downside for the 70-200 is that it is not so good full-frame. On a crop body like the D300 or D80 this lens is as good at it gets.

TarMoo Not that I am intending getting a 70-200, but I would like to have a bit more info on your comment about using it on an FX body.

johnaalex

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom