D300 advice please

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by ziplex, Nov 29, 2010.

1. ziplex

ziplex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'm after a real world opinion on the D300, I was going to hold on to my D80 until next year but I now find myself in a position to upgrade a little earlier. Been looking at the 7D but I will lose out too much with the sale/change of Nikon to Canon lenses so have decided to stay with Nikon. I can't find a bad review on the D7000 but I don't want any movie facility and the price is still sky high......anyone gone from a D80 to a D300 care to enlighten me a little? good or bad. I'm especially interested in speed of focus, and general quality of pic's/usability etc:smashin:..call me warped but I quite like the idea of a heavy/well built body too:D

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. RajP

RajP
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    I would have opted for the D7000 had it been available but went for D300s as that was what was available and met my requirements. Looking at prices, D300s and D7000 are almost identical in price so why would you not go for the D7000?

3. ziplex

ziplex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24

Looking at s/h prices which seem to be falling a little now, a mint D300 with low shutter count would be considerably cheaper, it's only an option i'm considering as i'm in no great rush, just weighing everything up. What were you using previous to the D300s out of interest?

4. Simon3119

Simon3119

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    I am not sure where you would get a new D300 from as it was superceded by the D300s which has movie mode (720p) as opposed to the D7000 (1080P).

There are a few D300's around in the second hand market but not very many unless you go to the auction sites but then you risk buying something with no warranty.

Aperutre photography have a couple of used one's for sale.

I went from the D50 to the D200 and the difference in build quality, picture quality, weight, speed etc just about everything was so much better.

Having never seen a D7000 in the flesh then it's difficult to recommend one but as Raj says it's almost identical in price to the D300s so would seem the obvious answer if buying new.

5. ziplex

ziplex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Agree absolutely, if buying new.....I should of pointed out originally I was contemplating looking at finding a good s/h body, apologies for the confusion.

6. stonedcamel

stonedcamel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +695
    i recently upgraded from the D60 to the D300s..... no regrets at all

7. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    If memory serves, the D300 is weather sealed, though at the time of purchase, I also had an Alpha A700 and was in the process of migrating to Nikon. Whilst I had 2 systems, I reverted back to Sony. The D300 felt very well built and on par with the A700, though personally I found the D300 menu system over-complicated.

I bought and sold it and re-sold on evilBay with a couple of basic VR zoom lenses and other bits for about £1150.00. It was in as-new condition boxed complete.

I recall the D300S was it's successor, but there was nothing I can think of that was anything special with the S version that was of any interest to me (video etc), though I did update the firmware on the D300 to the latest version as it was still at v1. Actually a nice body, though surprisingly I thought the shutter slap was louder than expected.

I'm sure if you found one you'd be very happy with it assuming you want a camera and not video recorder.

8. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    D300/s wil have better controls than the D7000 I think? Its a fantastic camera, the D7000 has a better sensor though.

9. Boldonion

Boldonion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    D300/S is a superb camera, one of the best DX bodies out there.

10. Johnmcl7

Johnmcl7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,565
    Aside from the video, the D300s also gets the 8fps burst rate without needing the grip.

John

11. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
  12. RajP

RajP
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    Ahh now it makes sense... in my case, D300s is my first DSLR.... I used to have a film Canon SLR around 15 years ago and then only used a P&S... good luck and D300s is an awesome camera with the right lens.. I used my 50mm f1.4 for the first time at a reception and in Manual mode and was very impressed with the pictures I got..

13. paul.w

paul.w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    if you can hang on a wee while the next range of nikon dslr promise to be awesome, rumours of replacements for the d300s and d700 should be well worth the investment.
    i was going to sell my d200 and lenses, flash etc and switch to the canon eos7 or 5dmk2 but ive been advised to wait till the spring to see the new offerings from both camps. of course there's no guarantee that these rumours are correct, and the d300s will always be a great piece of kit, but it may just pay you to hang on and save up till spring.

14. Johnmcl7

Johnmcl7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,565
    You don't really get any buffer with that though plus you completely screw up your auto-bracketting settings as well as several other controls.

John

15. Dr O

Dr O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    The D300 could be a big improvement over your D80 but it depends what you shoot and how much of the additional capability you would actually use. In terms of noise alone, the D300 will do ISO 1600 without too many complaints whereas the D80 is more like ISO 800.

A second hand D300 would be a good buy. Nikon need to sort out the teething issues with the D7000 and the D300S isn't really worth buying- even if you wanted movie mode- Nikon's admission that they chose the wrong strategy means it's pretty much redundant. It's still a good camera but it's definately Nikon's 50D.

If you could hold off- i.e. assuming the D80 is not limiting your photographs rather than your lens collection or yourself and that you just want to upgrade, then waiting to see what comes out next year might be an option. Presumably more funds would be available too, so a D400 may not be cost prohibitive (after the intial must-have stampede)

Nikon will respond to Canon's 7D. Whether they get it right remains to be seen.

16. Ian_S

Ian_S
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    I would have thought a D300s with more MP and 1080p video would be a fairly adequate response to the 7D.

17. ziplex

ziplex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for all your replies, the reason for looking to upgrade would be for better/more accurate focussing, better pic' quality generally (and at higher iso's is always nice), a more rugged body etc. I have looked at the D300 for numerous reasons...1, they are dropping in value 2, I don't want, or really want to be paying for the privilege/technology for a movie function as I won't use it 3, Of course the D7000 makes better sense from what I read into it but I think the D300 would be more than sufficient to cover my needs. I've sort of cosseted my D80, i'd like to be able to have a body that'll inspire confidence in some grotty places such as the foreshore where, if it's raining for example, I won't worry about it so much. I don't or never have taken my D80 with me when I go Wildfowling, it's a shame 'cause there's nothing like a mornings dawn chorus in the dead of winter and it offers some great opportunities for photography too. Last but not least, my D80 with a few bits is worth about £300 ish, another £350 or so will get me a nice D300 with low shutter count, still £450 short of a D7000 body. It's not neccessarily about money perse, more about getting something that's sufficient for my needs without going over the top.

18. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    If Nikon just slotted the D7000 sensor in to the D300s body, then they won't go far wrong.

19. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Zip, reading your last post, the D300 looks to fit all your needs just fine. The 12 mp D300/s CMOS sensor is much much better than the 10MP CCD sensor in the D80. The build quality of the D300 is superior and is weather-sealed. I don't think twice about taking my D300s anywhere - and it has regular trips to the beach. Another thing to bear in mind is that the D300 is from the Nikon pro range despite it being a DX format. So there are no Scene modes and those controls which you may wish to directly access on a regular basis have their buttons (no diving into menu's). At the end of the day, £450 would be a decent wodge for a new lens.

Now, if you were comparing a new D300s to a new D7000 I think the decision would be a lot more difficult and, if I'm honest, I would probably then go down the route of the D7000 for its extra megapixels (more scope for compositional cropping) and superior low light / high ISO performance.

20. ziplex

ziplex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Or........if they sold the D7000 w/o movie mode and priced it accordingly:D

21. Ian_S

Ian_S
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    I can't imagine any new model being sans video anymore tbh. The D300s may not be 16MP, but has pro build and pro autofocus. So unless you want 16MP, I'm sure there are bargains to be had before it's replaced.

22. ziplex

ziplex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24

Not remotely worried about scene modes, what you say about 'taking it anywhere' is appealing:smashin:

23. ziplex

ziplex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    To give you all an idea of where i'm at with this, and please give your input, I have just been offered a mint D300 with very low, (sub 4000), actuations for £365 + my D80 and MB-d80...I was going to sell/px a spare genuine battery but i'll need that if i'm going for the D300 so i'll be keeping that.

I do have a couple of remotes for the D80 which i'll give away to a good home if I go ahead with the above.

What do you think all, good deal or not? it is from a phographic est. so take into account px value on the D80 not quite as good as an outright sale...........

24. Simon3119

Simon3119

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    I'd take the deal but check what warranty it comes with, even second hand should have something.