D0 Point help

S

silentbob101

i was talking to guy on live the other night and he said he would help me if i posted here so here i am

ummm....thats nice. Can't help you unless you actually ask a question though lol

Hi silentbob101

Yep, it's me. As I said you can do this one of 2 ways.

1. Cut a short piece of the D0 connection grey wire and strip the insulation from it. You will then find it will be thin enough to just poke through the D0 via point from the upper side of the board. You can then add a small amount of solder to secure it and you will then have a little wire stump coming out of that point that you can then use to solder the actual D0 grey wire to.

or...

2. Use the D0 point on the underside of the board. If you are using the pin connector then you will have removed the board anyway. Then poke the grey D0 wire through one of the spare (open) LPC holes and connect to the alternative D0 point on the back of the board.

8.jpg

11.jpg

images courtesy of www.teamxecuter.com

Much much easier than trying to solder to the via point directly on the top of the board. However, if you want to do it the hard way :) you need to take a sharp Stanley blade or similar and scrape away, carefully, at the D0 point to reveal a bit more of the copper connection. Flux it (tiny amount) and add some solder. You can then solder the wire to that pre-prepared point.

Good luck. Any other problems just ask :D

there is another way - the easiest i believe.

Simply fill the whole with solder first, so that there as a decent amount there with a slight "bump" on top. Then tin the d0 wire. now, heat the d0 point up, and push the wire in.

job done.

You may have had luck that way but every one I have done you'll be very hard pressed to push the wire through the microscopic D0 hle once filled with solder even when it is heated and flowing. Good luck if that way works for you but I almost guarantee you will end up messing up the area around the via point.

Problem is the point is so damned small that to have the tip of your soldering iron on the point at the same time as trying to push the iwre in is almost nigh on impossible. Now, if it were the size of an LPC hole no probs, but unfortunately it is not.

I always solder direct to the via point from above using the blade tip but for those who find that challenging the easiest way by far is to use the point on the underneath of the board.

i never said push it through the hole lol. simple push it into the solder, so that it sits on top of the hole. And your right - that wire doesn't fit in that hole for at all lol.

Ah yes, you do as I do then but I do see how it could be tricky for a lot of people. Hence my alternatives above :smashin:

r there a number of d0 points yo can solder into i so what are all the options

Not aware of any others. The one on the underside of the board is simply a trace link from the one on top. Just follow one of the 3 methods above and you won't go wrong :)

Sod all that malarky, I just got a pogo pin version and it all works fine. I know there's the possibility that it can move but I've had no problems on either of the two machines I've modded and they've both been moved around a fair bit. And even if it does move it only takes five minutes to whip off the cover and re-align it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom