d-vine 5 case

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by bigdavie0, Oct 8, 2005.

1. bigdavie0

bigdavie0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello i have just purchased a d-vine 5 media case and i was wondering if you all could help me to build my media centre.
    e.g. what part i need to buy,motherboard,graphics card,processor ect.
    i would be gratefull of all the help i could get.
    i will be using the the pc in the living room so i want it to be quiet,also it will be mainly used for recording and watching sky
    playing the odd game and internet,i also have a sharp 5.1 surround sound kit that i would like to connect aswell.any help would be welcome :thumbsup: .

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's your budget?
    A passivly cooled NForce4 Motherboard (Abit A8N, Gigabyte k*N Ultra 9 etc),
    Dual core AMD64 CPU
    Passive Gigabyte 6600(GT) Gfx
    is a good start....
    then there's the PSU/fans/cpu cooler to think about - this largely depnds on budget too

3. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Dual-core AMD64 is massively OTT for the CPU performamce not to mention that some people seem to have problems with dual-core CPUs & MCE.

My MCE system is a 2.8GHz Celeron & that happily runs a couple of tuners & 2 x Xbox Media Center Extenders without breaking sweat. You might want to choose something cooler & quieter like a Sempron 3000.

4. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well that depends on what you want to do...a 2.4Ghz celery is ok running MCE for just music and std def vid - a 500MHz mini-itx will just about do that too...
    The dual core run very cool and will run AMD cool'n' quiet virually fanless with a decent heatsink
    Sempron is only a S754 CPU and doesn't run cool'n'quiet

5. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Mmmm. The cheapest dual-core Athlon 64 costs more than my entire MCE system did. The OP didn't say that he wants to do any more than I do i.e record & watch Sky. He said nothing about HDTV & having spent a lot on such a spiffy looking HTPC case I thought that he might like to save a bob or two.

6. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    conversely he didn't say he didn't want HDTV (hence question on budget). Having spend so much on a spiffy looking case he might want to fill it with the components it desereves and stay future proof. :p

Mighty impressed you built your HTPC for less than £240 though:clap:

7. bigdavie0

bigdavie0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your reply guys
    i have not got a great deal of money,but i would like it to be future proof,the problem i have got is this will be my first pc build,even though i have messed with computers in the past i am not sure what to buy or what to buy first i am in no rush to build,if i need to save money to get good kit then i am prepared to wait.
    thanks

8. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Best thing to do is buy a motherboard that supports Dual Core but for the time being buy an Athlon Cool n Quiet at a reasonable price say Athlon 3000. When HDTV broadcasts become mainstream, upgrade your TV card, graphics card and processor.

9. bigdavie0

bigdavie0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am thinking of getting a
    amd athlon venice 64bit 3000+ cpu,fan and motherboard 3000
    what do you think to start me off. :lease:

10. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OEM Version of the AMD 3000
    Abit A8N or Gigabyte K8N Ultra 9 motherbaord (both passively cooled Nforce 4)
    Cooler depends on budget - something like a Thermalright XP120 + quiet fan, Zalman CNPS9500 or Scythe Ninja + quiet fan will serve you very well - these will set you back £40-50. If on a lower budget then a Zalman CNPS7000, Themalright XP90+fan will also do a good job

11. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I'm underestimating the cost a little & I wouldn't exactly call it an HTPC but I do use it to run Windows XP Media Center Edition. I use Xbox MCX for displays so don't need a fancy graphics card. The system without monitor cost just 299 Euros plus another 24 Euros for an extra 256MB DDR RAM that's a grand total of 222 Pounds. I should add in the cost of a TV tuner card but mine was free as I was given it for taking part in a beta test. It was acracking specification for the price & well capable of running MCE & serving 2 or 3 Xbox Extenders
    2.8GHz Celeron
    80GB disk
    512MB DDR RAM
    16x DVD RW

12. crashuk

crashuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    were did you buy it.