1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D&G (Domestic and General) Warranties

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nictry, May 21, 2002.

1. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    This is related to TVs so posted on this forum, but interested to know what people think about D&G warranties over normal shop ones. I did some checking and to guarantee my Philips 36" PP will cost 97.00 for 3 years against 250+ at comet etc.

Looking through their exclusions etc. seems to be nothing obvious that would be a problem, someone comes out to oyu, cannot hold on to the TV for more than 5 days without a replacement etc. etc.

Any experiences out there????

Thanks, Nick

2. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    The D&G policies are excellent.
    My friend owns a TV repair company and they deal extensively with D&G. He has never known them to back-out of their responsibilities and he wholeheartedly recommends them.
    It’s also worth keeping in mind that if you don’t make a claim you can cash in your policy at any time. I recently sold my two year old Panasonic 36PF10 and got a refund for the remaining part of the policy.

3. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use them for my expensive stuff, including white goods. Quite a few retailers use their policies and sell on. If you go direct you can get a good deal.

I recently used them to cover my RP tv. Got 5 year cover for £156. Shop quoted me nearly 500 nicker for same cover on a £1600 tv, giving me the usual rubbish about "expensive to repair" etc. I think you can guess what I told them - it ends in "off".

I have had reason to use the cover recently on our washer/dryer and service was brilliant. Next day visit, local authorised dealer. Repaired same day.

Once you have a policy, you can get a discount on further cover. So a tip here is to cover something cheap and then go back later for the expensive stuff.

Cheers

Laurel

4. Pyara

Pyara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I bought my 36PW9525 (Philips 36") I had spent enough to not to bother with any additional warranties. Nevertheless, 6 months after having made my purchase I received a letter from D&G (I pressume that Sound & Vision had passed on my details).

Luckely I signed-up as I latter needed to claim on the service and everything went smoothly, absolutely happy with their service.

5. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's another plus with D&G - you can sign up any time. Even goods that are outside the manufacturers warranty.

It's slightly cheaper if you get the cover when the goods are new - but not much.

Cheers

Laurel

PS. You can get an instant quote on the web as well Here.

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nictry my old mate, love your avatar.

This was the avatar i was using up until a while ago.

This has been causing me major problems.

Everytime i see it now i'm going through an indentity crisis, cos i'm thinking it's me that has posted a reply or started a thread and wondering why am i called nictry.

To make things better for me you can buy the copyright of me for £25.........:D

PS....Your user name fits very well, you little tea leaf.

:) ;) :D

bob

7. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    Hey Bob,

I looked all over the Web for something a bit different but came back to the first one I found looking on Yahoo for free ani Gifs, what a small world eh!!!

Sorry for the identity crisis but if I become Bob008 you really will have to worry :p

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Domestic & General warranties are probably the best available, and better value if purchased directly, rather than through a shop (avoids Insurance Premium Tax or equivalent).
    If they have a bad point it is that when faced with coughing up to repair or replace an older item, they will normally provide a write off value instead.
    The view most people have is that after paying their premium they expect a repair or replacement, not to be dismissed with a token payment because an item is "beyond economical repair", that's D & G's problem not the policyholder.
    Other than pulling this stunt, they are beyond reproach.
    The extended warranty to watch out for is the overpriced poor cover that has the promise of your money back in five years providing no claim is made.
    The window to reclaim your premium is very tight, but worse, the company often disappears without trace before the five year term.
    Over the last thirty years it has happened several times.
    Obviously warranties not backed by insurance, such as happened with Tempo, are next to worthless.

9. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't blame you for that, i thought it was a cool gif to use as an avatar.

Copyright wavered, cool reply.

Cheers bob or is it nictry........:confused:

:D