Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

D.A.D. = Worst Bond film ever!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Lex, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just got around to watching Die Another Day for the first time last night... Oh My God!! What a pile of utter tripe! :( I know some Bond films are better than others, but this was just so bad it was shocking - the script, the directing, the acting, the plot, the special effects, etc etc Absolutely awful!

I am not the biggest Bond fan in the world, but I have enjoyed nearly all the previous films. I never got around to seeing D.A.D. at the cinema, so I was really looking forward to seeing it on dvd. I had heard that it had gotten some good reviews, so it was a real shock to sit through this pile of poop.

It seemed to me that the writers had completely lost the character of James Bond - this could have been any action star at all, it just wasn't Bond imho

I know it has been out for sometime now, but I had to post as I was just really amazed at how bad it was - what did other people think of it?

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,660
    It is the first Bond film to make me consider not going to the next Bond film at the pitures.
    The opening was great I though shades of the Dalton era getting locked up. Then it went pear shaped especily when they got to the Ice Dome. I here the director Lee Tamahori. Is directing XXX2 I just hope he will not be doing the next Bond.
    I have all the Bond DVD’s from Living Daylights to TWINE, but I’m missing this one. What with that speed up and awful CGI.[​IMG]

I even though the projector was faulty with the dreadful opening song.[​IMG]again

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't understand why the producers decided to bring in this guy anyway :confused: He really seemed to have no idea what he was doing - he didn't adhere to the Bond formula of film making, instead he tried to jazz it up with new effects and flashy editing... The title song was awful too - I hated it when it came out, but I was hoping it would grow on me, instead it just sums up the whole film - not Bond, not good! :mad:

4. Rich1978

Rich1978
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree - it was awful. As far as I can remember, the only bit I really enjoyed was the sword fight. Not enough real stunts, that was the problem (and the script, and CGI and all the product placement).

The day when it joins the rest of my Bond DVDs is the day when it's very very very cheap.

Was anything more said about plans to make an entire film about Jinx? I really hope that doesn't happen - a James Bond spin off movie just doesn't sit well (and would be another nail in 007's coffin).

5. Matinee

Matinee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I thought TWINE was much worse, and TND wasnt that impressive. I quite liked DAD, although Goldeneye is still the best Pierce Brosnan bond film.

PK

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also thought this film was dire. I just wanted the action sequences to finish. Good idea with bond being captured & tortued though, defo the first half was fairly good but terrible last half, the sped up wurfing bit was hilariously bad. Klingon cloaking device car ..okkaaayyyy...I won't go into the ice palace car scene.

Wouldn't have this DVD for free.

7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,663
    I felt that TWINE had some neat touches in it and I was a fan of how Carlyle played Renard- some neat pathos there. Also I liked Robbie Coltrane's role in both TWINE and Goldeneye. It did also have a good quantity of proper stunt work in it. It wasn't vintage Bond but compared to DAD I felt it was a masterpeice.

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,660
    The kicker is I think it was the most successful Bond film. But then again we live in an age that thinks Ricky Gervais is the funniest comedian ever. :rolleyes:

9. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +9,527
    Have to agree with you there Lex. Although possibly Moonraker is just as bad.

When I got this on DVD I was really looking forward to watching it as I am really into the Bond films.

Thought the start with the capture & torture was good but when the film was finished I was left with the overall feeling of dissatisfaction. It could easily have been a second rate action film that I had just watched and certainly not the quality I have come to expect from Bond films.

Greg

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,660
    I said it was rubbish Lex see here

Yet in the poll 37 people said the were going to buy it because they enjoyed it.:confused:

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    It was much worse to work on than to watch.
    I find it amusing that everyone knocks the vfx work and protests that there should have been more practical stunts/effects when part of the reason there is a lot of hastily assembled CGI work ( from all the VFX houses that worked on it and that in itself is saying something) is the practical guys burnt so much time and money on work that was either flawed or not even used. The digital guys had to come up with very complex stuff in a ridiculous time frame just so there wouldn't be holes in the film.

My often repeated mantra was " I like a challenge but give us a chance fellas!"

12. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Interesting Poll Garrett - I did a search before I posted as I thought it had been discussed before, but your thread never came up! :confused:

Personally I quite like Tomorrow Never Dies - it was slightly lacking in the female department, but I thought it had a solid, if not slightly OTT, storyline, witty dlalogue and a great performance from Johnny Price as the bad guy.

I think the dialogue was what was most awful about DAD, the one-liners were just so lame. :(

I am still not completely convinced by Pierce Brosnan - he certainly has style, but he is missing that dark edge that Connery & Dalton had.

13. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Bond + Surfboard x Parachute + CGI = Arse

14. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Bond + {Madonna x acting x singing} = Eurgh!

15. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,660
    Connery seemed very dark an emotionless killer, probably had the best qualifications for an agent,
    Dalton on the other hand showed more emotion and came across as a real person, terribly loyal to his friends but not nice to be on his wrong side.

I wonder who Jonathan Pryce character was based on.:rolleyes: :D

16. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    D.A.D. made Bond seem like a right wuss.......

why cant they get some decent action directors to do a Bond , like John McTiernan, John Woo, Michael Bay, Tony Scott etc...

(anyhow had the above discussion when D.A.D. first came out :|)

17. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Around the time of the release of this film, in all the publicity and interviews etc., Tamahori (the director) claimed "I know how not to stuff up this kind of movie" which is precisely what he ended up doing!

18. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I completely agree, apart from the John Woo bit - Woo is completely hopeless :hiya:

19. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    The ladyfriend's dad is a Bond obsessive (he owns all the bond decorative plates) (a bit of a surreal market for bond fans but hey) and he fell asleep watching die another day. And he usually watches a bond film per week.