D.A.B portable radio

Mylo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, can anyone recommend a portable DAB radio for use in an office environment? I assume it will need a decent extendable aerial to work indoors. Any ideas on prices and suppliers either online or in the SouthEast.

Cheers, Mylo :p

Found the Pure Evoke 1 for £89.93, is this as good as it gets?

Would say so- not "hi fi" in the classic sense but generally good reception and well enough screwed together.

I believe Roberts have brought out a range of DAB tuners, but I would imagine they will be quite a bit more than the Pure

I use one of the Psion wavefinder things connected to my computer. It works rather well in the office, much better than the FM thing I used to have!

Just bought one of the Pure Evoke 1 DABs. We live in an area with terrible reception and can normally pick up a couple of stations but they are very mushy. No problems at all with the Pure, fantastic sound quality for a portable and can be plugged into your hi fi if you want. This version doesnt have batteries, but the Evoke 2 does. We used it during a bit of a party and it coped fine .

Hi Mylo,

The January edition of "What Hi-Fi" reviews twelve portable digital radios ranging in price from £80 to £170 in detail.

An office environment, however, could challenge the best of them!

empire direct i think had a decent choice at sensible money including a sub £100 roberts! Evoke is great my mum has one in the kitchen and it is really very good, much better than the panny cassette player it replaced!

Originally posted by Cynthia 7
Hi Mylo,

The January edition of "What Hi-Fi" reviews twelve portable digital radios ranging in price from £80 to £170 in detail.

An office environment, however, could challenge the best of them!

could you summarise please? Quite liked the spec & look of the Roberts Gemini 6, tho it was on the pricey side - is it reviewed? I'd like to be able to take the digital out and play it through my dac.

*RANT ON*

DAB aerials

After finding out that our main transmitter (Caradon Hill in sunny Cornwall) has now started broadcasting DAB, as off mid December, I went out a got a DAB radio yesterday (PURE Evoke2). I did have some nagging doubts in the back of my mind that I still wouldn't be able to get a good signal in my village (polperro), and surprise, surprise I can't! The reason, the village is on the coast in a valley, like a large number of places in Cornwall, we get our TV via a relay on top of the hill over looking the village, again as a large number of places in Cornwall do, so NO DAB and NO Freeview!

It's really getting on my tits now I'm fed up of seeing the adverts, paying the thieving license fee and getting sod all. I had to get sky installed because we can't get freeview, and that was a close thing, a large number of houses in the village can't get sky because of the topology of the village,
Grrrrrrrrrrrr

*RANT OFF*
So I’m now thinking whether to get an aerial, or take the radio back, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Originally posted by fancyabrew
I had to get sky installed because we can't get freeview, and that was a close thing, a large number of houses in the village can't get sky because of the topology of the village,
Grrrrrrrrrrrr

*RANT OFF*
So I’m now thinking whether to get an aerial, or take the radio back, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fancy, do you realise that as you receive Sky that your receive the highest number of digital radio stations available, and that the bitrates for these digital radio stations is higher than Freeviews service, which in turn has an even higher bit rate alocation than DAB. Freeviews service is actually quite above DABs (which is in dire straits IMO), and Skys matches most Freeview bitrates, or in some cases surpasses them, but you get a lot more stations and most are at the highest broadcast rate in the UK. Look at using a Sky box with a digital output and send towards your AV amp or a DAC.

Next "upgrade" get yourself a house that is not located in a cave.

:D

ahhhh but the whole point of a having a, to use the old fasion term, wireless, is there are no wires! I want to listen to the DAB WIRELESS in the bathroom, kitchen, around the house in general, I can't do that with my sky box now can I, grrrrrrrrr

... I was looking at the the Evokes - if you can't get your money back, keep me in mind for s/h sale ...

Sorry ditton 15, the Roberts Gemini 6 radio was not reviewed.

5 stars were awarded to:

Pure PocketDAB 1000 (which is fairly small)
Bush DABCR2003, a cube clock radio
Pure Digital Evoke-2, "which is by far the best sounding of the
portables here."

a belated thank you.

I've still not made a move on the tuner side. I decided that my bedroom radio/alarm could be replaced; and I am working out how to get the best for the living room.

The Intempo and the Pure Tempus looked alternatives. Anyone any other views?

ditton 15,

Since you mentioned the Intempo and Pure Tempus I looked at sites selling them. The Intempo is very stylish but the Pure Tempus has better connectivity. I then looked at other models. I am now longing to buy one, but which one? Deciding between the features of each model is hard.

I am also trying to decide which 36" tv I should buy. Sometimes knowing the strengths and weakness of these AV items makes it hard to choose. This forum alerts us to possible problems but that makes it harder to decide as most seem to have faults. I would imagine the tuners would be less problematic. Good luck with your choice.

On tuners, I've decided that what I want is a replacement for bedside radio/clock, that has digital reception (optionally also FM), good sound reproduction and has the capacity, were I to carry it to the living room and want to connect it to my hifi, both phono (analogue) out and ideally also digital out (so I could use my Dax Decade).

I had a look at the Intempo. Its OK but has no digital out. The Roberts is similar, but also has FM.

On TVs, I've been a happy Tosh owner - no regrets

I'm now in the market for a Roberts DAB radio for a gift, (has to be Roberts, with dark wood sides + gold finish) - either the RD5 or RD8.
The RD5 is what was requested, but the RD8 has the pause/rewind function. Does anyone know if the RD8 is available in the same finish as the RD5?

Its the Gemini 5G that has been requested, but does the Gemini 8 have the same finish? - all pictures seem to vary, and haven't found a shop which stocks both. Personally I'd like the 8, as the pause function sounds rather good. But the dark wood looks of the 5G is the priority.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom