1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Czech PV500 TV - will it work in UK in 2yrs?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by hippo, May 30, 2005.

1. hippo

hippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm on the verge of buying a Panasonic TH-42PV500E but I'm currently living in Prague, Czech Republic. I'm wondering if it will work when I come back to the UK in a couple of years. I understand the sound encoding is different somehow.

Interestingly the specs on the Czech website and in the literature seem to offer more tuner compatibility than the UK spec:

NICAM - B, G, I, L, A2
    PAL B/G/H/I D/K

(whereas the UK model spec only mentions PAL -I)

Will the Czech model work in the UK when I come back? Will it matter, or will everything be digital by then? I noticed that the Czech spec doesn't mention DVB but the UK spec does. Is this likely to be important?

Note that I don't actually need to receive a terrestial signal in Prague right now as I'm completely clueless on the language!

Advice or opinions greatly appreciated!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i think they are all made out in Czech republic (great city Prague!! :smashin: ) yes it will work in UK all you would to do is buy a FV box to use it with DVB when you get here, will still work with analogue TV till 2010/12 then you will need an STB

3. hippo

hippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I have a Freeview box left over from OnDigital already and will probably get Sky when I come back anyway. What's STB?

(and yes, Prague is just great. 28 degrees at 9am this morning! :cool: )

4. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,931
    STB = Set-Top Box