1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyrus vs Meridian

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by skp574, Oct 27, 2003.

1. skp574

skp574

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new this this forum so would really like your opinions.

I currently have a Cyrus system and have been looking to make a few changes. This has also been driven by equipment reliability. I have had two pieces of Cyrus kit fail on me, and one has gone back again with the same fault! :mad:

Anyway, I have been looking for other brands to demo.

I have been looking at the new Meridian G series of components. I know that they are relatively new but has anyone listened to them yet? I would be interested in any feedback.

My current system is a DVD 8, Cyrus 8 both with PSX-Rs attached to aPA7.5 monoblocs powering a pair of B&W 805 signatures.

I mainly listen to 2 channel music and DVD comes second. So I would be looking for a similar setup to above. I bought the DVD 8 as a all-in-one solution but would consider buying a cheapie standalone DVD player in favour of a quality CD player.

Any recommendations would be welcome.

2. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    i would hang on to what you have and add the cyrus dac which is coming next year. i talked to the cyrus guys at the show and they reckon it will improve audio performance even on already high end dvd players like your cyrus dvd8 and the dv27 i have

3. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try Rotel 10 series. :)

4. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As a general rule, Meridian is perceived to be a more up market brand than Cyrus. I owned Cyrus in the past and switched to Meridian and felt it was a worthwhile improvement. If music is your thing, a Meridian 602 transport circa 1991 partnered with a good DAC will take some beating and will certainly outperform most, if not all, of the universal DVD players currently available.

5. skp574

skp574

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary,

What did have in your system that was Meridian?

The new G series looks interesting. There is the G91 which is a DVD Transport/Controller with preamp with Tuner. It is possible to choose whether you have digital or analogue outputs. If running passive speakers or Meridian's own DSP range. It also features HDMI digital video out. It's nearly £4k though!

Nice idea on paper as a one box solution, just add an amp for passive speakers.

I would be using passive speakers so am looking at their power amps too. Have you used or heard an all Meridian system connected to standard passive speakers?

Have you used Cyrus with Meridian, if so how do they work together?

Sorry for all the questions. I would be really interested to know. It may seem as though I am jumping ship from Cyrus to Meridian but it does seem they have more expertise and are ahead of Cyrus for embracing new formats and digital signal processing.

Maybe I'm just getting bored with 8 shoeboxes when I could have just two slabs of high-end audio kit!

6. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've bought or evaluated a fair bit of Meridian kit and for me the strongest compenents in their range are the CD players, CD transports and DVD players.

The new G series is impressive, only you can decide whether they are the best value for money, I would be inclined to look at the 'used' market you will get much more 'bang' for the buck and the difference in quality isn't always a step up. For example, the 500 transport does not improve on the older 602 transport in terms of sound quality. In fact you will need to part with several thousand pounds to better a used 602 at a few hundred pounds. Also, if you want a 'universal' CD/DVD make sure you are happy with it's performance, for me the sound quality of the 596 was disappointing, certainly no match for a 602.

As an aside, rather than reducing the number of boxes, you will probably end up with more. The best performance always comes from each component being housed in it's own case. I use 9 monobloc amps in my system, one for each of the 7 channels and 2 for the subs.

Here some links to used kit:

http://www.adverts.hififorsale.com/home.asp
    http://www.ex-dem.co.uk/
    http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/classads.html
    http://www.loot.com/