Cyrus streamers

Gecl

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I started my Cyrus journey a couple of years ago by purchasing a new stream xa and have since added a predac 2(qxr) and a stereo 200 power amp.
The stream xa is now feeding a digital output to the presumably higher quality DAC in the pre amp which means that the stream xa DAC is redundant.
I am therefore thinking of changing this unit to a stream X signature but am not sure if I could expect much of an improvement in the sound given that I believe the stream X is a fairly old design.
Is there anyone on the forum with experience of these two streamers?

Hello all. I started my Cyrus journey a couple of years ago by purchasing a new stream xa and have since added a predac 2(qxr) and a stereo 200 power amp.
The stream xa is now feeding a digital output to the presumably higher quality DAC in the pre amp which means that the stream xa DAC is redundant.
I am therefore thinking of changing this unit to a stream X signature but am not sure if I could expect much of an improvement in the sound given that I believe the stream X is a fairly old design.
Is there anyone on the forum with experience of these two streamers?
Hi- I did the upgrade you are considering (search my name for a long posting to another person). It was part of a broader upgrade so I can’t isolate what part the Stream X Signsture contributed BUT I will highlight that the XA sells for more than you can buy a Stream X Signature for (if you are willing to wait for the right one on eBay), so you shouldn’t be out of pocket (and the Stream X doesn’t need, or accept even, a PSX-R). I would go for it.

Hi- I did the upgrade you are considering (search my name for a long posting to another person). It was part of a broader upgrade so I can’t isolate what part the Stream X Signsture contributed BUT I will highlight that the XA sells for more than you can buy a Stream X Signature for (if you are willing to wait for the right one on eBay), so you shouldn’t be out of pocket (and the Stream X doesn’t need, or accept even, a PSX-R). I would go for it.
Just to add a bit more, there is a guy at Cyrus who is very helpful to everyone who contacts him. I copy below the email that got me over the line on this upgrade (and with a qxr, you’re in the right place!).

Hi Phil,

That’s no problem at all,
The Stream X Signature is purely a digital board with one simple power supply. The Stream Xa incorporates the digital section and the Analogue section with multiple power supplies to run these. The more power supplies you have by default you will always introduce some noise onto the audio output, even though we design products to minimise this sort of noise. So even though the DAC in the Stream Xa is better than the Qx DAC you will get a cleaner signal from the Signature on digital. It is all a bit subjective as to what would be best, but my preference would be the Signature. What would be even more beneficial would be the QXR upgrade to the Pre XPd or even to the Pre-XR.

Regards,

Pete Hillyard

Tel.+44 (0)1480 435577

Is it worth waiting to see what Cyrus comes up with now that they have partnered up with Bluesound to implement BluOs?

Thanks Phil
I hadn't really considered the power supply aspect. I have not gone down the pxs-r route yet but thie would obviously avoid the cost of one of these if I do upgrade further. There is likely to be a Stream xa for sale on ebay shortly!
I am not too bothered about BluOs and in any event I rather suspect that any xr series streamer would be a bit pricey.

Thanks Phil
I hadn't really considered the power supply aspect. I have not gone down the pxs-r route yet but thie would obviously avoid the cost of one of these if I do upgrade further. There is likely to be a Stream xa for sale on ebay shortly!
I am not too bothered about BluOs and in any event I rather suspect that any xr series streamer would be a bit pricey.
Good luck. I only heard about the BluOS thing today- it’d be nice if there was a (free?) firmware update for the streamers we have one day.. fingers crossed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom