Cyrus Stream X2 not working with CA Dacmagic +

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Barzo, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    Weird one. Just got a Stream X2 to add to my system. Plugged it in and no sound. Confirmed that the network was working, but no signal lock through CA Dacmagic plus. Hav confirmed that Stream X digital output is working (by connecting to my AV receiver), and confirmed that Dacmagic Plus is working, by checking (and swapping cables) on my Oppo bluray digital out.

However, Stream X2 and CA DAC will not play together. Anyone had this before or know what the cause might be?

2. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Sorry to state the obvious but have you selected the correct input on your DACMagic? Is there a setting you have to enable on the player to turn on the digital outs? Have you accidentally locked the DACMagic to expect a different sampling rate? Can you try a different cable?

3. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    Thanks for the advice. Have tried all of those things. Digital out on player (Stream X2) is working, as confirmed by connecting it to the digital in of my Yamaha AV receiver. With the CA DM+, I tried different cables and inputs, to no avail. I reset the CA DM+. I tried different sampling rates from the Stream X 2 and different file formats. I also confirmed that the DM+ is working by trying other digital sources.

I've contacted CA support by e-mail. I may well also contact Cyrus, but I'm taking the CA DM+ back to RS Liverpool some time today, to see if they can replicate the problem (as I bought both it and the Stream X2 from them). As I said at the start, werid.

4. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,290
    When you say you tried different bitrates, was that different source files or manually set on the Cyrus? Wondering if the Cyrus is upscaling to something the CA can't handle?

Tried both optical & coax?

Although I'm not sure why you'd want to put a relatively high end streamer through a relatively budget DAC. But then I guess that's not the point...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  5. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    The plot thickens. Just back from RS.

In short, my Dacmagic+ worked with the shop Stream X2. Connected no problem.

They have given me a replacement Dacmagic+ and power supply to try at home, which I will do later.

I am beginning to think that the issue is something power supply related. All my equipment (bar a network switch) is connected into a Russ Andrews Ultra purifier 8 way block (Ultra PurifierBlock with MegaClamp : Our best extensions delivering more mus...).

I wonder if that is somehow interfering with the signal from the Stream X2 to the Dacmagic+. It did not impact on the same setup using a Squeezebox Touch, but I'm at a major loss what else could be the culprit. It would also explain why the Stream X2 worked with my AV receiver, as that is in another room and was connected simply to a surge protected extension block.

Intriguing. Will try various things tonight, including bypassing the RA power block for the Stream X2.

6. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    Re: different bitrates, I meant files, as there is no setting for the bitrate that the X2 outputs. As per my other post, I have now proved that there is no incompatibility between the Cyrus and Dacmagic+.

Re: digital inputs on Dacmagic+. The StreamX2 only has a single, coax output.

Re: low end DAC point. All upgrades are incremental. :DBetter DAC is next on the list. Recommendations appreciated.

7. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,290
    I've just looked a bit deeper & didn't appreciate that the Cyrus has no DAC of it's own. :blush:

8. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,183
    Makes it a very expensive way of getting a file from your server to your DAC. :eek:

9. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    Well, it's sorted. Just slotted in my new Dacmagic+ and all is working fine. No need to fiddle with power supplies. It just works.

Suggests it was something with the firmware/hardware in the DacMagic+, as my original Dacmagic+ was bought at the time of release.

Great service from RS Liverpool, as always. Been a customer for over 16 years and they've always been great.

10. Member 620449

Member 620449
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a bit of a weird one for us as technically nothing significant has changed in the way the DacMagic Plus sees digital sources but we're glad that Richer Sounds has sorted this. We'll have a look at the possibilities for what might have caused this and see if we can sort it out.
    All the best
    Cambridge Audio

11. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    And I should have said thanks for the customer support on this. Fast and friendly comms. Will certainly keep me a CA customer.