Cyrus Speaker help

Psrv37

Novice Member
Hi all,

New member and complete novice here. I've recently been given my Dad's 'hand-me-down' Cyrus 8 xpd qx amp, and and 8se2 CD player. I understand from reading forums it can be a bit tricky to match speakers to Cyrus equipment - which isn't made easier by the fact I'm not really sure how to go about doing it. So I was wondering if you could help?

I've enough space for floor standing speakers, and don't mind buying them second hand. Is it possible to get something under a £1000 that will sound ok with the equipment?

Someone has also mentioned to me adding an x power amp, and using the 8 as a pre-amp, but presumably this will just mean needing even more expensive speakers?

acgingersnaps

Hi
Have you had the opportunity to go and listen to some speakers? That small Cyrus footprint makes it relatively straight forwards for you to take it with you. It will give you a much better idea of the sort of sound that you like running through it.
By the way, more power won't mean you have to get more expensive speakers, it will just widen your options.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
If you're looking for a few suggestions, I'd say put some of below speakers on you're list as they will all give something and one should stand out along the way if you are taking you're own amp

For me, I'd either say the Acoustics Energy or Focal as the top choices for different experiences, but as all us perceive musical performances differently, you really need to trust you're on ears and ignore everything else

Acoustics Energy AE309, Dali Oberon 7, Wharfedale Evo 4.3, Mission QX-5, Focal Chorus 716

mark6226

Hi all,

New member and complete novice here. I've recently been given my Dad's 'hand-me-down' Cyrus 8 xpd qx amp, and and 8se2 CD player. I understand from reading forums it can be a bit tricky to match speakers to Cyrus equipment - which isn't made easier by the fact I'm not really sure how to go about doing it. So I was wondering if you could help?

I've enough space for floor standing speakers, and don't mind buying them second hand. Is it possible to get something under a £1000 that will sound ok with the equipment?

Someone has also mentioned to me adding an x power amp, and using the 8 as a pre-amp, but presumably this will just mean needing even more expensive speakers?
youve got a good set up there
Are you thinking of bi-amping? I ask that question as I biamp with the xpower and the cyrus 82 DAC. plus I also use a couple of psxr
I would recommend biamping if you buy the xpower.
I have been into cyrus for over 20 years and would not buy other amps etc
I use the 8se2 as a transport. Its superb
I use BW 603 speakers and they are brilliant. they are around £1200 but worth the extra.
If you biamp you will have plenty of power.
The xpower will set you back around £1.4k new, so may use that money to get the better speakers and then add the xpower when you have save the extra cash.
Yes cyrus can be tricky ann I have made some terrible mistakesbut you live and learn.
The 603 are marvellous. the cyrus will drive them without any problem
If you would like further advice then please ask. I started with the cyrus 3 around 1996 ish
which speaker cables are you using|? If you biamp then you will need to double up your cables. so that will need factoring in to your calculations. This will prob add around £100 to your cost depending on lengths and if you finish them yourself.

Last edited:

dazed&confused

PMC go very nice with Cyrus. I bought my first Cyrus amp in 1988 and have had a few different models since then,

What are the dimensions of your room?

There is a pair of compact PMC floor standers on sale in the classified at the moment.

Psrv37

Novice Member
youve got a good set up there
Are you thinking of bi-amping? I ask that question as I biamp with the xpower and the cyrus 82 DAC. plus I also use a couple of psxr
I would recommend biamping if you buy the xpower.
I have been into cyrus for over 20 years and would not buy other amps etc
I use the 8se2 as a transport. Its superb
I use BW 603 speakers and they are brilliant. they are around £1200 but worth the extra.
If you biamp you will have plenty of power.
The xpower will set you back around £1.4k new, so may use that money to get the better speakers and then add the xpower when you have save the extra cash.
Yes cyrus can be tricky ann I have made some terrible mistakesbut you live and learn.
The 603 are marvellous. the cyrus will drive them without any problem
If you would like further advice then please ask. I started with the cyrus 3 around 1996 ish
which speaker cables are you using|? If you biamp then you will need to double up your cables. so that will need factoring in to your calculations. This will prob add around £100 to your cost depending on lengths and if you finish them yourself.

I had this advice knocking around in the back of my head when I went to demo some speakers at the weekend. I thought, what's the harm in trying the 603s to find out whether I can hear the difference that extra 250 pounds on top of my budget would make. Well, I'm now 1250 pounds out of pocket instead of only a 1000!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom