Cyrus ONE HD Integrated amplifier review & Comments

Nice review. That Bluetooth only remote (or is there an option to get standard one) is definitely a minus. It would seem though that with this version it would even make more sense to give a Chromecast option than with the first Cyrus one

That Bluetooth only remote (or is there an option to get standard one) is definitely a minus.
Word on the remote, You can purchase/use the Cyrus IR14 remote, news on the grapevine is that Cyrus are also developing a compact credit card style remote for those who don't wish to use the IR14, but no release date has been given :)

It'd be great on these reviews if you could take a photo with the cover removed. I'm always curious to see inside stuff like this.

Surprised that on the back plate it says the mains wattage is 750w. For a class D amp with a max of 100w per channel I wonder why its so high. If the cover was off we could at least see if it is a switched mode psu. That should be quite efficient

It'd be great on these reviews if you could take a photo with the cover removed. I'm always curious to see inside stuff like this.

Hah- when shooting this one, I thought "ooh, why don't I try an internal shot?" Suffice to say that although I've a significant selection of keys, screwdrivers and torx here, Cyrus really, really doesn't want that top coming off.

If you go to the Cyrus website you'll see they have thought of you ;)

Would this amp be overkill using it with a Sonos connect and not taking advantage of Bluetooth?

Would this amp be overkill using it with a Sonos connect and not taking advantage of Bluetooth?
I can't see why. The sonos digital out would be processed with the Cyrus DAC, should make for the overall excellent sound,

The price is at the top of the review - £999 - or are you saying you know the price and it's too much?

Pricing seems about inline with what you'd expect from a boutique manufacturer.

Thanks. Just that Ed says the HD version amp is basically the same sounding as the original. So not really sure if it would make economic sense to go for this model instead. A few hundred pounds price difference. On the other hand I might add something in the future which would take advantage of what the HD has to offer.

Found a pic of the internals for those who are interested:-

clean_top_view_cyrus_onehd.jpg

So it's a beefy conventional linear power supply with Class D output stage.

The price is at the top of the review - £999 - or are you saying you know the price and it's too much?

Pricing seems about inline with what you'd expect from a boutique manufacturer.

Yes i feel the price is too high. I have the Sprout 100 in for testing at the moment and it costs only 600 pounds. Maybe i'll ask the Cyrus to compare...The arcam sa10 i had in last month is 700 pounds... But maybe it is better then both...

Having covered this and the Arcam SA20 back to back, I think this is the better amp than the Arcam. It sounds livelier and has a better feature set. It isn't that the Arcam isn't good, I just think this is better.

interesting...now i really need to hear it cause i loved the Arcam Sa10 together with the CDS 50.

A long time ago, back when the BBC was showing 'Nationwide', there was a report on an Amstrad 'stereo' where they opened it up to show that it was actually mono with quite literally a toilet roll tube delivering the sound to two speakers!

Apologies is I came over as being 'clever'.

Not at all!

Going back to my point - it was a general suggestion to be honest for all these kind of reviews. Clearly it's not practical, or necessary to take projectors or TVs apart, but you can tell a lot about a bit of audio kit by sneaking a look under the hood.

interesting...now i really need to hear it cause i loved the Arcam Sa10 together with the CDS 50.

I've heard the SA10 and SA20 and I prefer the One HD - totally subjective though as the Arcams are great value for money too,

I will get back to you on this once i have the one in the house...

Found a pic of the internals for those who are interested:-

clean_top_view_cyrus_onehd.jpg

So it's a beefy conventional linear power supply with Class D output stage.

Does that make any kind of sense? If it’s class D why not a switching supply?

And if it has the huge toroidal then why not class A/B to appeal the ‘hifi’ guys?

Can anybody say whether you'd see any sound difference between the one and the one HD? Looking to get one, but there's a £400 price difference at the mo, so Cyrus One + £100/£200 for a DAC would be quite a saving.

Last edited:
It's the next revision (4th I think) of their class D amplifier and also an improved DAC so I suppose it depends on how you feed the music to the amp,

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom