Question Cyrus MR3 & dAD3 - they worked yesterday!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by BugandBean, Apr 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BugandBean

BugandBean
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be grateful for any advice on what steps I should take to decide where the fault lies with my Cyrus cd player and amp and Mission speakers.

The system worked yesterday but I get no sound today. I've checked the obvious ... connections between cd player and amp and leads to speakers. The speakers 'crackle' occassionally when I wiggle the connections.

What should I do? Or do I accept that it is an old system (a great system) and it is time to bid it farewell?

Many thanks.

2. arb70sok

arb70sok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    So you have three components. CD Player. Amp. Speakers.
    Likely hood of all three failing at the same time is small.
    If I were you I would take them around to a mates who has a similar setup and one by one swap your components into his setup to identify which one is faulty.

Once you have identified which component is not working, take a call on getting that component repaired or replacing it. This would depend on the original cost/value of the component and how expensive it would be to replace. You haven't given us model numbers for the kit.

Your system could be worth a couple of hundred or it could be worth upwords of 5 grand depending on which Cyrus CD player, amp(s) and mission speakers you are talking about. If it is a 5 grand system then it is probably going to be worth investigating repairs. If it is a couple of hundred quid system maybe not.

3. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
  4. arb70sok

arb70sok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sorry me talking twaddle. By the time I read OP initial post I had forgotten what the thread title was!

That guy was obviously very handy with a soldering iron and diagnostic tools. I think for most 'normal' people best option might be to take it to service centre or repair shop! Even if it is the same issue as in the post, I personally wouldn't have the confidence to diagnose it as per the post and even if I did, not sure I fancy removing a 1k resistor from a PCB or whatever.