Question Cyrus Mono v Musical Fidelity 750

UpTheIron

Hi All,

My AV overhaul has - not surprisingly - gone rather differently than planned.

Sent background: Up until a couple of years ago my Cyrus AV5 + 3x APA7 (fronts ) + XPA (rears) served me well. The AV5 got swapped with an AV8, an ACA7.5 pre was followed by a PreVS2 and then a DAC XP+. The CD7 still remains and is complemented by a Stream X. FM7.5 and DAB X have come and gone. Generally I've been happy but then my AV8 died. An Arcam AVP700/P1000 replaced it. All was OK for a while, but cheap second hand stuff sometimes fails, and the AVP os seriously unwell and the P1000 has a faint hum (from the unit, not through the speakers).

So, to bring myself up to date I have an AV7702 and a MM8003 for AV duties. The front channels from the AV7702 feed into the balanced inputs of my Musical Fidelity A1 FBP pre.

Are you still reading? Hopefully, as this is my question...

Given my background above, and a preference for music over movies, what power amp do I aim to get for my front stereo or L/C/R?

Considerations:

I like bi-amping my Mission E83/E8C.
Cabinet space is at a severe premium.
- the P1000 won't fit
- 2 (or 4, or 6) Cyrus Mono's might
- the MF 750k is a tempting, matching option that would fit (as they are floor standing). Hard to find though.

Has anyone partnered an A1 FBP with Cyrus? Any views? Do I need to look elsewhere? Any alternatives that are either half sized boxes or floor standing units like the 750K's?

dean999

I use cyrus mono x 200 monoblocks.
I used to have a lexicon cx7 biamping my monitor audio platinum pl300s.

The cyrus are totally free of noise and a big step up from the lexicon.
I hope this helps

dontcare

I have a A1 FBP feeding my MF 750K's which power my Kef 205/2's, I also have another 750K powering my Kef 202/2 centre. To me the sound is superb, you would have to spend a lot of money to beat the effortless performance of the 750K's. My processor is a Onkyo 5509 for AV duties, and I also use a MF CD1 pro for music, to me it's a killer combo!

HTH

Craig uk

I use cyrus mono x 200 monoblocks.
I used to have a lexicon cx7 biamping my monitor audio platinum pl300s.

The cyrus are totally free of noise and a big step up from the lexicon
I agree, the mono X 200 are excellent. Totally transparent.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom