1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyrus/Mission Hifi Too bright

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by C227, Jan 23, 2005.

1. C227

C227
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Cyrus Dad3 Cd player and 3 amp with PSX-R linked to Mission 753's (not freedom).

I'm finding the sound a bit bright, not enough bass. I have to really turn up the volume to hear the bass.

What can I do to make the sound:

a) less treble biased

b) bit more bass

c) More 3d soundstaging.

My thoughts are on changing the speaker to something a little less bright, something like B&W or Kef reference series. The overall mission sound always seems to be very treble happy.

What do you reckon?

Can what I want be achieved with different speakers cables and interconnects?

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Those 753s are awful IMO, your amp and player should be fine. My only comment would be to check that the music your using really does have Bass as a lot of CDs are compressed and have a very bright sound. The other thing to check is speaker position and the brightness of your room (I guess you have made sure the speakers are 'in phase' as this causes bass loss), rooms with loads of reflective surfaces can cause a sound that is bass light and speakers positioned too far away from rear walls can have the same effect.

As to options on your speakers, just audition until you find some that you like. Forget the reviews and follow your instinct. You need to try them in your own home with your own music.

Cables will not solve your problem as they only tweak the sound, spend the money on the equipment.

3. C227

C227
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought 753's were meant to be quite good. The detail is good but I suppose just because the maagazines say something is good doesnt mean it is. We all have different preferences in terms of sound.

I've heard my CD player and AMP sound extremely good with other speakers so I think its those I am going to change. Ivee listened to the more later Cyrus amps and the difference is too small to warrant an upgrade.

I used have a set of TDL RTL3's, while these arent the best for resolution or detail, the bass was extremely good, really tight and and extended and went really deep. I need something thats got the bass of the TDL's, good soundstaging and good detail. Might look towards Kef and B&W (the older P series sounded fantastic).

My room is carpeted and my speakers are up against the wall. I think the CD recordings do have a big impact on brightness, some sound nice but most CD's are way too bright.

Thanks for the input.

4. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you tried positioning your speakers differently?
    Could help?

What kind of budget are you looking at?

I have heard most of the B&W speakers available now - and they most definately cant be considered bright.

I'm looking forward to listening to the 700series as it seems very promising from what I've been hearing from friends etc.

I've demo'd quite a few Missions and also heard older Mission floorstanders from the early 90s and two words always came to mind - very bright. They are very japanese sounding in my opinion.

Have a listen to some B&W speakers, maybe some kef's and Dynaudios too :)