Cyrus DVD7 Hack - Reversible?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks' started by CounterWhine, Jul 1, 2002.

1. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knows whether the Cyrus DVD7 handset hack (described below) is reversible?

Does anyone know any more about this hack? Does it make the player region 0? Does it cope with RCE?

Any other info about this (and other DVD7 hacks) would be much appreciated.

TIA,

D.

1. Press the Play button on the remote control
    2. Press the buttons 2, 5, and 6 on the remote control, in order, one at a time
    3. The display should now show "..........."
    4. Using the remote control, enter the code 222 222 005 255. Note that the last digit will not show on the display.
    5. Press the Play button on the remote control

2. evildonut

evildonut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David,

I don't know whether that hack is reversible, I'd think yes but you'd need another code I guess. Furthermore, I've never heard of anybody needing to reverse it.

It definitely plays RCE, I've tried that! I don't know whether it sets it to R0 though.

HTH!

3. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    how would you say the dvd 7 compares against a arcam dv88? i am VERY interested in either machine and would much apreciate an opinion either way. also, how about the musical fidelity dvd1?

4. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Hi dts_boy,

When I bought my Cyrus, I demoed it against the DV88 and the FMJ (DV27?). We started with the DV88 and that set the benchmark. When we changed to a PSX-Red DVD7, we ware blown away. The picture was so much more vivid than the DV88 and the sound just grabbed your attention and yelled "hey you, watch this movie!"

That's exactly what we did. My wife and I both stopped demoing and started watching. After 15 minutes of Toy Story II, our dealer had to interupt and ask us what we thought. We were away with the fairies.

We next tried the FMJ and it was in character, very similar to the DV88, just more of everything.

The problem with the Arcams was that although they were both fine players (infact very very good indeed), we found them lacking in excitement. The Cyrus just grabbed your attention and made you want to watch movies.

I've lived with my Cyrus for a year now and haven't had any cause for complaint (though I did recently send it in for a warranty repair as the transport was very noisy with certain disks). I use it to drive a Panasonic TH42PW4B and the quality is fabulous.

Clearly I'm a fan. I had my choice of Arcam and Cyrus and for me it was no contest. Having said that, Cyrus products aren't to everyone's taste and the Arcams are still fine products.

Try to demo them before you make up your mind.

BTW, all my comments are with respect to the PSX-Red DVD7. Once I'd seen it that way, I couldn't bring myself to order it without. Crafty dealer! I've not seen the Musical Fidelity so have no comment to make.

D.

Hi Evil (or is that Dr. Evil),

Thanks for the reassurance. I thought I might have made a rod for my own back there.

D.

5. evildonut

evildonut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey David,

Not a problem! (and Evil is just fine :devil: )

I am also a Cyrus fan, and proud owner of an AV5 (waiting for more sister boxes to join it). When the DVD7 came out, I made some extensive home demos (thanks to an understanding dealer) in order to make up my mind.

The result was that it didn't give enough difference (visually) compared to my current player (Tosh 3109), and I could see no difference between DVD7 and DVD7+PSX-R on my set (but I have a humble 28" wide Pana).

However, where it blew me away is for CD replay, I had demoed the CD7 beforehand and found those 2 very similar, if anything I preffered the DVD7! Add to that an optional DAC upgrade (the Q7), and it makes a fine all-in-one box.

All IMHO of course!