CYRUS CDXT SE...with intermittent faulty play??

Tonewheelkev

Established Member
Reaction score
On lookout for decent CD player...and have option on a CYRUS CDXT SE ....supposedly fine 'some' of the time
....but then won't play.
Anyone experience of this....what kind of repair 'might' it be?
(How long is a piece of string??)
I'm handy with screwdrivers, and a soldering iron, and like the challenge! :)
Any thoughts/experiences please!!??

Last edited:
Get some more detail of exactly what happens. Does it not play at all or start then stop. Does it do same from remote or front panel.

Seller tells me...." it plays discs normally sometimes, perhaps for a few hours. Then one day it may not play at all. It's a bit hit and miss. "
Condition looks great (pics that is, haven't set eyes on yet!)...price £160....I have a 'cheap' DAC....wondering if it's worth a punt!!?

Probably needs a servo and firmware update. Cyrus players hate anything but perfect discs, the newer updates however help in this regard.

But it may need a new laser assembly...

Probably needs a servo and firmware update. Cyrus players hate anything but perfect discs, the newer updates however help in this regard.

But it may need a new laser assembly...
Potentially...costwise....what sort of scenario might I find myself in?? :)

I think this is the procedure to check what version you have:-

1) make sure the player is in standby mode ( red light visible )
2) next, press and hold the power button ( 1,-the firmware version info, 2,-date of firmware released, and 3,-servo version info ) will show up in the display window.

I think this is the procedure to check what version you have:-

1) make sure the player is in standby mode ( red light visible )
2) next, press and hold the power button ( 1,-the firmware version info, 2,-date of firmware released, and 3,-servo version info ) will show up in the display window.
Are these updateable by user.....or hard-wired (1 and 2 that is!)
How does this inf. help....sorry if that's a daft question, I'm good at those!

I’d normally delve in but that level of service for that money when you’ve saved so much on the player? With a Cyrus service receipt to go with it you’ll make a VERY healthy profit if you sell on.

Think my scepticism on 'service' may be tainted by experience with cars....£200 oil change...etc!!

Couldn’t agree more generally. Might be better to think of this as closer to a service exchange for a knackered started motor.

Don't mess with it would be my advice. For £160 then £300 for a service you would be getting a top notch transport plus a guarantee on the repair from the manufacturer. N.B. Cyrus repairs have to go through one of their appointed dealers, they won't take it in direct.

I had one, it is one of the best CD players I have ever owned, but the skipping on less then perfect discs got on my tits and it had to go!

Don't mess with it would be my advice. For £160 then £300 for a service you would be getting a top notch transport plus a guarantee on the repair from the manufacturer. N.B. Cyrus repairs have to go through one of their appointed dealers, they won't take it in direct.

They did for me, them again I did not have a local dealer..

A little update....
Spoke to seller......seems that when the player isn't behaving...there's an error message on the unit.
Does that help indicate the nature of the fault?

Depends lol. Might tell you you can fix it. Otherwise doesn’t matter as Cyrus fix all.
Wow....quick reply!
Still looking to save where I can here....£300 service would be a reluctant choice!
....then again....it's only money (aaaggghhh....MY money :) )

Hah the advantage of smartphones and a quiet Monday.
For me I’d look at the eBay sold prices (for average unserviced machines) add the bargain price I can buy it for and note the amount of profit it if I sold at any point ;) And I’m tight as a duck’s thingy!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom