Cyrus CDXt + DAC XP, or Cambridge 840c

rhubarbe

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I bought a Cyrus DAC XP a while ago, to override the DAC in my Sonos. This job it performs very well indeed.

I ripped all of our CDs to flac... but the wife says to me the other day, "Why haven't we got a CD player?"

So, I had a look around and found that I could get quite a good deal on a closeout Cyrus CDXt transport, which would work great (in fact it was made for it) with the DAC XP.

Then I started reading Cambridge Audio 840c reviews (you try to find more than one review for the CDXt), and I noticed that amongst the hyperbole that this thing has digital inputs.

So, I got to thinking that I could free up some cash by selling the DAC XP (should make £1100 or £1200) forget the CDXt and just get an 840c.

My room is (a kitchen/sunlounge) with ceramic tiled floor, painted walls, no curtains, no rugs: I am worried that the Cyrus may sound too bright.

The amp is a Rotel RB1092 UCD amp, so not much added warmth there, either.

Can anybody give me some advice, please?

The CDXt works really well with the DAC XP, it's what it was designed for after all.

A customer of ours recently bought a DAC XP to help the brightness in his sytem. He was initially looking at changing his speakers (MA's), buy after trying the DAC XP at home he found it did the job perfectly, as well as upgrading what he had.

Try the CDXt at home and see what you think. These two products combined make a great front end.

Thanks very much for your input. To go for the CDXt would be my easiest option. I suppose that, having got the DAC XP already, I should at least give it a try....

Unless....

Someone else on another forum has used an 840C and put his Squeezebox through it and is extremely happy with the results. The only way you can find out for sure is to try the 840C and see if it meets your expectations. If it does you are quids in, if it doesn't then invoke the 700/800 series 30 day satisfaction guarantee and give it back. :)

Let us know how you get on. :)

... how did you get on? Did you get the cdxt or the 840c?
I'm considering the 840c now to replace an old Teac vrds 10.

Thanks,
Duncan

I didn't, in the end. My sun-lounge was going to have glazed windows and roof and a ceramic tiled floor. Echoey echoey.

In the end the whole project got crunched. Kit all sold.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom